Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Deer Jerky!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
I like to cut real thin slices then soak it soy sauce over night in the fridge. when you take it out, put the slices on a cooling rack then put the rack on a cookie sheet. You can add all kinds of spices before you dry it out in the oven. Try using a little liquid smoke in the soy sauce for extra flavor.

BigBonner

Founding Member
I use 1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup Warshisire ( Spelled wrong )
1/8 th teaspoon red Chyne pepper
1/8 th teaspoon black pepper
3/4 cup Dales seasoning ( Liquid )
Minced Garlic to your taste ( 1/2 teaspoon full )
1 to 2 tablespoons of liquid smoke ( To your taste )
1/2 teaspoon sorgum ( sweetens the jerkey a bit "optional" )

Salt 1/2 teaspoon ( I leave out the salt it is to preserve the jerkey .It don't last long enough here to ruin )

Slice thin as you can get the meat , soak over night . Use dehydrator or oven

BarG

Founding Member
I can't speak for oven made jerky. I use an old water tank with a door cut into it and a 6" hole in bottom back leading to a smoke pit with ac duct connecting.using the cut out for the hole as a regulator for heat and smoke, kind of like in a stove pipe flue. A few all thread rods across the top to hang from. I never use soy or worshistire due to personal taste but I do use garlic powder,tony chachereros,red pepper, cayene whole pepper seeds,coarse black pepper and salt.{personal preferences} every time is different and I never measure. Smoke a couple hours and check on heat and smoke, feel the jerky for cookedness.I might smoke as much as 4-6 hours depending on heat and smoke using pecan, maybe a a touch of mesquite. I like mine tender and not to done in the middle. I found that the best deer jerky comes from about the best roast cut of meat off the hind quarter of a deer.Cut your strips about a 1/4" thick or 3/8" cross grain so your not peeling off long tough strips to chew. Make sure all sinew is off before starting. As for backstrap 1/4-1/2" thick slices with flour salt and pepper cooked in bacon grease with gravy. YUM

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
cant really help you on the oven,,,, i use a food dehydrator,,,,

and big-bonner, good recipe,,,

when i do some jerky, i throw everything in the season batch, BUT THE KITCHEN SINK,,,, but i lean towards the heat,,,peppers, hot sauce, crushed pepper seeds, e,t,c,

BigBonner

Founding Member
I think I see a new forum comming . How about SHOW YOUR BUCK or game kill forum .
Minus as well add a show your ride forum while you're at it .

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
well heres my 3 bucks,, and other dead stuff i have in my manly living-room

sam0230t.jpg

By chickenhawk435 at 2011-10-17

Boboro

I wish I could post a pic. of the truck I got my last one with. Ol lady made jerky lastweakend it dint last to monday. Good eatin bad for cars and gardens. If I wouldnt get put in jail Id kill every dam one one of them.

BarG

Founding Member
Thats a little extreme don't you think. my wife nailed 3 hogs one night and managed to keep her truck on the road till she could pull over and call for help.I don't want to kill em all till I'm ready to put them in my freezer or give to friends less hounded by hogs and deer. Iv'e never hit one, and bet I never will,[knock on wood].

Boboro

We are very over populated. Isted of letting us kill them at nite they plant winter clover on the sideof the hiway I know 2 people who were killed.I have no probem with them in the back woods but not on highways or populated areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.