Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Shredding/Blending by Volume

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I shred for cigarettes by volume rather than by weight. I use a metric ruler to mark off the levels for each variety in the blend. I use 10cm for two reasons, 10cm of shredded tobacco in the plastic tub provided with the Powermatic Shredder yields right at 1 pound of shredded tobacco. Second, 10cm is easy to convert to percentages. 10cm = 100%, therefore 4 cm = 40%, etc. My cigarette blend of 40% Virginia, 20% Burley, 20% Maryland, 10% Dark Air, 10% Izmir looks like this: 4cm Virginia, 2cm Burley, 2 cm Maryland, 1cm Dark Air, 1cm Izmir. I mark the levels off with masking tape and shred each variety until it reaches the top of the corresponding tape. The shredding and blending goes pretty fast. I bring the varieties into low medium case the night before I shred. Here's a picture.

markings.JPG

I then dump the tub out on a table and blend all the tobacco together. Like shuffling a deck of cards. The lighter colored tobacco in the mix will give you an idea of when the tobacco is thoroughly blended. Here's a pound blend in a two gallon zip lock. The Bright Yellow tobacco is Brown Thumb's flue cured Big Gem. It's yummy.

lb of shred.JPG

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
That might actually be better than measuring by weight since the moisture content can change the blend dramatically...especially with larger amounts.

Nice job.

bonehead

i used to weigh up my blends but now i just wing it. the only time i had to change the mix was when i got heavy handed with two year old burley. i don't need or wan't the same thing every time. sometimes i go heavy on the oriental or flue cured and it always seems to be more than acceptable.

DrBob

Founding Member
really? you are a knucklehead. I just shred and mix and smoke. It all tastes good when I am done.

That is a good way to do it. Now all I have to do is find my blend and I'll be all set.

At some point, I'm going to try your blend, probably with a slight adjustment to the ratios - which variety of Virginia are you using if you don't mind me asking.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
That is a good way to do it. Now all I have to do is find my blend and I'll be all set.

At some point, I'm going to try your blend, probably with a slight adjustment to the ratios - which variety of Virginia are you using if you don't mind me asking.

I'm purchasing Bright Leaf (all my baccy actually) from Don until my home grown naturally ages for a year or so. In this last blend, I used Big Gem (a flue cure variety) that I had been gifted by another member. I have used this blend with the Virginia comprised of 1/2 Bright Leaf and 1/2 Virginia Red Leaf and really liked it. The Red Leaf just seems to add another flavor dimension.

When playing around with blends, always record what you do, so you can duplicate it later. Nothing sucks worse than finding the perfect blend and realizing you have no idea how you got there.

winston-smoker

I think when I need to order tobacco from Don again, I'm going to get a lb. of that Red Virginia everyone has been praising. Hope it doesn't run out of stock before I'm ready to place an order again!

Knucklehead

Founding Member

winston-smoker

Knucklehead,
Thanks for the link. This way I can monitor the available supply periodically ... it may be some time before I would need to place an order, because my order last month was 5 lbs. of tobacco, and I still have a little over 2 lbs. of DP pipe tobacco left. But if it looks like the supply of Red Virginia is getting low, given that Don's bags will keep the tobacco fresh for a year, I would consider placing an order before it becomes necessary.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
I don't really have the measurements down to a science,

I mix about 5 different baccy's,,, and know their strength, and grab 1 andfull of this,,, 1/2 of that... and 2 of that one,,,,e,t,c,

my cigg's allways taste different.

Status
Not open for further replies.