Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Oliver Twist-like recipe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
I'm working on a recipe to replace my camel snus that.

I'm starting out with "light honey" from the grocery store, anise oil, and water as the base. And using YTB as my leaf. I will cook the syrup in and cut into small plugs for single use.

I'll keep you guys up to date on the progress, any tips?

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
odd, my phone didn't post that correctly. "I'm working on a recipe to replace my camel snus that I use too much as it is"

the recipe is below:

1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup water
2.5 teaspoons of anise extract.

10 ounces of dry tobacco (I broke it up into large flakes) (I used YTB and some VBL, NOTE: Don't use VBL, it doesn't darken like classic chew)

Heat water and honey into pan until it's a soupy fluid, add in 1.5 teaspoons of anise extract (if using anise oil use 1/2 teaspoon), mix in tobacco and stir/heat over low stove temp until there is no remnant liquid remaining in the pan (tilt the pan sideways a bit and hold/press the moistened tobacco to make any seep out to check if it's dry enough.)

Put onto cookie sheet or similar oven safe pan. Drip 1 more teaspoon of anise extract (or 1/4 teaspoon anise oil) over tobacco, then place in 300*F oven for 15 minutes to begin drying tobacco.

Remove, let air dry for 24 hours and then make into bricks, plugs or use as loose leaf.

Has a very strong black licorice/root beer flavor with a very subtle taste of sweetness but not specifically honey.

here it is after being in the oven:
otp.jpg

squeezyjohn

I've had very good results spinning my own tobacco in to thin ropes to cut up in to small pieces that look very much like oliver twists and hold together well.

You make the concentrated sauce you want to flavour it with and soak the leaf in it for a short while, then line the half-leaves (with the midrib stripped out) in a long row overlapping to half way along the next leaf ... then you spin them by rolling your left palm forwards on the end of the left hand leaf, pinching it and pulling it back in to it's original place and repeating to create the twist or spin ... all the time your right hand feeds the overlapping leaves in to the twist so you end up with a nice long thin rope with a thickness of about 1/4" to 1/2"

You can then heat and dry the whole rope and cut bite sized pieces off as and when you fancy a chew.

I have had great success using 100% rustica for this and making the rope very thin. It makes tiny little pieces that are far more satisfying than the rather weak Oliver Twist pieces but still very discreet to use. I only sauce it with a salt solution with some glycerine in it to keep it supple - but the Rustica tastes very nice and aromatic prepared this way.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Thanks squeezy, I may have to tright that some day.

Edit:
As a odd note I think I made a new word....I meant to say Try-that but it came out "tright" when I was typing...

Anyway.

I haven't really been home to try my concoction the past week so we'll see how it turned out. I did try it the day after I made it and it wasn't too bad. I forgot I could swallow my saliva with the bitterness I get from snus...

madavmyers

I know this thread is very old, but I'm getting a shipment of whole leaf in soon for my snus, but I'll definitely have to try this as well. I've been wanting to try Oliver Twist but don't want to spend the money (I think I can only order them online and shipping is too high).

Status
Not open for further replies.