Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Can you fire cure anytime?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
As a small time grower...I say yes. I did so with a (new) metal trash can, some water soaked oak chips, a pan, a tripod base for said pan, a propane torch and a grate above the pan (about 8 inches above. I had to drill a small hole in the base of the trash can to fit the torch in. I lit it, piled in 2 hands of tobacco and begin to let it smoke (alot like curing meats with smoke).

The stuff tastes and smells awesome.

This was all after the they had been air cured and aged about 3 months.

DGBAMA

I Put a couple hands of cured leaf in my smoker for about 4 hours. Gave a very good flavor without being overpowering like true fire cured.

BigBonner

Founding Member
Firing tobacco is done when the leaf is yellowed up and the stem is still crisp . About a week to ten days after harvesting .It is according to when the leaf is yellowed the right color .

However in my opinion if the cured tobacco was in high case to a wet case then fired for a day or so . Then add water to the smoldering fire to add moisture / case back into the tobacco might work .
As the tobacco absorbs the smoke from the steam the leaf may take on smoke .

This is just my opinion.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I have "fire-cured" leaf that is newly yellowed, as well as leaf that had completed color-curing. I did this in a steel trash can (in which large holes had been drilled into the bottom) sitting on top of a Brinkman smoker.

FireCureChamber2_20110818_01_BottomHoles_300.jpg

The smoker was fired-up 1 to 3 times a day, daily, for periods ranging from 7 days to 30 days. The bottom tray of the smoker contained a small amount of charcoal onto which one or more aluminum foil packets of wet wood chips were directly placed. The foil packets were punctured with a fork. I kept a large pot of water on a rack between the coals (at the bottom) and the leaf (in the can atop the smoker).

Since the entire apparatus was outdoors, and cooled overnight, the leaf was in medium to high case each morning (this was done during the autumn). The more days that the leaf is fired, the darker the tobacco becomes. Even the short (7 day) firing imparts a lasting, smoky aroma. I have used wood chips of apple (very nice), oak, maple and hickory.

FireCureChamber2_20110908_02_InOperation.jpg

Other than the holes in the can bottom, the construction (thermometer, hanging hardware) is identical to my Cozy Can flue-curing chamber.

Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Trashy? Yes. Functional? Yes.

The trash can is not held up as the ideal container for various curing methods. Instead, it is symbolic of:
  • cheap
  • arbitrary
  • if he can do it with a trash can, then my [insert name of assorted castaway container] will work
  • aversion to specialty-built, complex devices

Bob

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Trashy? Yes. Functional? Yes.

The trash can is not held up as the ideal container for various curing methods. Instead, it is symbolic of:
  • cheap
  • arbitrary
  • if he can do it with a trash can, then my [insert name of assorted castaway container] will work
  • aversion to specialty-built, complex devices

Bob

I admire all of the above. I hope you took the post in the humorous vein in which it was written. I left off the smilies and LOL's in your honor.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Soon it's gonna cure.
I can see it.
Soon it's gonna cure.
I can tell.
Soon it's gonna cure.
What are we gonna use?

We'll chip four limbs of a tree.
We'll build four walls and a floor.
We'll hang it over with leaves,