Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Powermatic S Shredder *New Version* Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

brewskz

I bought the new Powermatic S Shredder. The new ones have oil cups built into the sides of the gears which of course is a great idea. Does
anyone know what kind of grease this is? It's very thick and kind of reddish in color. They included some of the grease but of course I don't
know how long that will last or what type I need when it comes to buying more. I have included a photo of it with one of the caps removed.

I also have a second question. How does one clean their machines? My old unit would run backwards but not always forward. I'm assuming
it would get gummed up. I read where some actually streamed water into their units and then used the hair dryer to dry it out. Is this a practice
that some are using to keep their machines in top running condition or is there something else that needs to be done?

I always remove the stems and have never overloaded the machine. I treat it with respect cause the machine is an investment that I want
it to last.

If anyone has any advice or suggestions then I'd greatly appreciate it.

1.jpg2.jpg

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
I'll call the manufacturer tomorrow and find out what grease is used and get a cost on replacement tubes.

The best I can figure on actually adding grease is...fill the cup and as you screw it on, the grease is forced into the bearings.

As for cleaning the shredder, I haven't heard anything other than spraying water (or beer ;)) down the throat and drying it with a hair dryer. Be sure it's plugged into a GFI outlet.

Boboro

If its gumin up you need to let tobacco dry more. If its in proper case it wont gum up the shredder.

DrBob

Founding Member
a little water does magic if you plug it up. Rushing the shredder by overloading it contributes to jamming. It seems that the newer version has a longer run time to help clear the cutter heads

brewskz

I appreciate you finding out this information. I'd like to use whatever is recommended by them. And thanks for the tip on adding grease to the unit.
I was wondering how to put it in there.
Do you clean the shredder with water after x amount of usage? Is any type of oil ever sprayed on the the blades?
I really appreciate your advice.

I'll call the manufacturer tomorrow and find out what grease is used and get a cost on replacement tubes.

The best I can figure on actually adding grease is...fill the cup and as you screw it on, the grease is forced into the bearings.

As for cleaning the shredder, I haven't heard anything other than spraying water (or beer
wink.png
) down the throat and drying it with a hair dryer. Be sure it's plugged into a GFI outlet.

brewskz

I learned that early on but only after it had gummed up a time or two. These days that never happens cause I know the feel of the tobacco.

If its gumin up you need to let tobacco dry more. If its in proper case it wont gum up the shredder.

Ishi

Water to get the gum and caked tobacco soft and an air hose to blow the soft crap out. Do this from the bottom.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I've owned my Powermatic for about a year. I've never had to clean it and I've never experienced a gum up problem. I shred a pound at a time and run it backwards for a few seconds before and after shredding. That's it.

AmaxB

I'm with knuckles and boboro if tobacco is in the right case and the machine is used as meant to be, you should have no jam or clog issues. Mine is a year or more old and I have had no problems..

Boboro

I did jam mine a couple times so its easy to do. No need to take it apart. just spray and blow dry. I let mine sit a day or 2 after bringin in to case so its more uinaform.

Status
Not open for further replies.