Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

how to repair my whiskey flask

Status
Not open for further replies.

webmost

Anyone here good at working metal?

I scored a whiskey flask in a gifte shoppe tourist trap just outside Jellystone... only because the embossed slogan "Liquid Jackass" on the side of it appealed to me. Love the thing. has always worked well.

Until now. Had it in the garage half full of rum. Temps out there were in the twenties. Brought it in the other night to sip with a cigar in front of the fire. Ice cold flask with a fire radiating on one side of it = the one side swelled, other side icy, the thing deformed, just enough to produce this leak in the bottom:

liquidjackass.jpg

Who's a good metal worker here? Got an idea how to fix this?

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
You can solder it. You'll need the expensive silver solder though.

Clean the area with steel wool, clamp the flask upright so the flux doesn't flow into the flask. Use a slow heat, hold the torch 6" or so from the piece. Apply flux compatible with the silver solder, when the flux bubbles, hit the crack with the solder. Be sure to hold the heat above the crack...not on the crack so the solder draws up into the crack.

If the solder doesn't draw, heat the crack, add solder and wipe it off. This would be a type of 'tinning". Let it cool, and repeat the process. Tinning is the easiest way to get a stubborn joint to sweat.

When you're done, sand off any unwanted solder with emery cloth being careful not to scratch the stainless.

I'm sure others have better ideas, but that's the way I'd attempt it.

bonehead

i use harris stayclean liquid flux and silver solder to solder ss. you need at least five percent silver in the solder. the more silver in the solder the higher the melting temp. at around 5 to seven percent silver you can still use a propane torch. make sure your solder is lead free and don't put the flame on the flux because it will burn. it is eaciest to cut the solder and lay it on top of the split then heat around the workarea until the solder melts and flows into the crack. wow do i type slow already answered.

Frozenthunderbolt

i use harris stayclean liquid flux and silver solder to solder ss. you need at least five percent silver in the solder. the more silver in the solder the higher the melting temp. at around 5 to seven percent silver you can still use a propane torch. make sure your solder is lead free and don't put the flame on the flux because it will burn. it is eaciest to cut the solder and lay it on top of the split then heat around the workarea until the solder melts and flows into the crack. wow do i type slow already answered.

Like this, or as FM growit said BUT

once done heat up some vinegar, or a solution of citric acid and pour it inside the flask and swirl it alot. If you can get a test tube cleaner that fits inside so much the better.
Repeat this a couple of times.
Next, soak with some baccadi 151 or other high proof, again scrub it if you can, then throw that alcohol away/use it as fire lighter.
Rinse well with water and you should be good to go.

Why do this you say?

Flux is persistant on the surface of the metal, and if draw inside through capillary action is NOT something that you want dissolving into your alcohol to be consumed (trust me on this)

bonehead

Like this, or as FM growit said BUT

once done heat up some vinegar, or a solution of citric acid and pour it inside the flask and swirl it alot. If you can get a test tube cleaner that fits inside so much the better.
Repeat this a couple of times.
Next, soak with some baccadi 151 or other high proof, again scrub it if you can, then throw that alcohol away/use it as fire lighter.
Rinse well with water and you should be good to go.

Why do this you say?

Flux is persistant on the surface of the metal, and if draw inside through capillary action is NOT something that you want dissolving into your alcohol to be consumed (trust me on this)
you should clean it very good in one half vinegar bath and one half water at boiling temps. then a sacrificial alcohol soak won't hurt. stayclean is a acid based flux so it is one of the easier fluxes to get off . always safety first.

webmost

Yeah, if you weren't 600 miles of Winter driving away I'd take you up on that. Plus these borders are such an obnoxious anachronism.

Status
Not open for further replies.