Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Moldavian-456 what is going on

Status
Not open for further replies.

madhouse

I folks I wonder if any one has any info or understanding of why this is happening, I have grow Moldavian-456 among others this year and a strange thing seems to be happening.

The flower buds develop and just drop off before opening, don’t get me wrong I have had seed from these plants and the tobacco is great but its driving me mad, I grew some plants outside and 90 per sent of the flowers dropped so I have grown some in doors under lights and tried different techniques to see if I could stop the problem, some with lots of watering, some less, some very little, some with feed and some without, all plants have grown to maturity and look very similar in size color etc, but all seem to drop most of there buds.

I have never seen this happen in any strain I have grow before I wonder if it is a genetic problem.

<O:pBill :confused:<O:p</O:p

Markw

That sounds strange Bill I have never heard of that before.I had one plant that flowered but did not have any seed pods set on the plant.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I think I read somewhere on here that someone experienced similar results with a strain for one year and the next year things were back to normal. Give them a shot this coming season and see what happens. Is that an Oriental strain? (curiosity)

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Came my Alida two years ago, what you are providing the plants with? For a little B O R in manure, I heard then. Don't know for sure but the nettle water seems to have done a good job this year for my flowers.

//Hasse

DGBAMA

Dropped buds are a sign the flower did not pollinate, could be for a number of reasons though. My Yayladang did similar this year, only got afew fully developed podsfrom each of my bagged plants.

madhouse

I have given them the same thing as all the other plant manure, liquid feed and with the ones indoors all sorts including no food

The buds are not getting to the stage where they could pollinate, they are very small when they drop, they bust into bud and then fall off, mad, but some do form its got me baffled?

Its not an ornamental it’s a Moldavian cigarette strain I think

Moldavian - 456

Yellow-orange, brown, light brown, a sheet plate dense, as a whole quality above than at Anniversary, natural drying (solar)
Nicotine 0.8 %-3.0%
Carbohydrates 3,5 %-4,0 %
Fibers 6 % - 8,5 %<O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p

rainmax

Founding Member
I think I read somewhere on here that someone experienced similar results with a strain for one year and the next year things were back to normal. Give them a shot this coming season and see what happens. Is that an Oriental strain? (curiosity)

I also believe that I read this post and I think it was Skychaser who experience similar problem. Ask him to explain. He knows for sure.

skychaser

I had Izmir plants a couple years ago that produced no seed. I had about 50 plants, about half of which were bagged and half left to open pollinate. They bloomed normally but for some unknown environmental reason, they apparently produced no viable pollen. The flowers didn't drop off and did go on to produce very small pods that had nothing inside. I have grown plants from the same seed twice since then and they behaved normally. Never had that happen with any types before or since. ??

The Moldavian 456 is a bright leaf cigarette type tobacco. We had the same source for the seed. My seed had an extremely poor germination rate and I got only 3 seedlings. The viability was also terrible. 2 of the 3 died before they could produce their first true leaves. The remaining plant took forever to began to grow normally. It was about 14 weeks old before it looked like a normal 8 week old plant.

Once planted out it did quite well and grew like a normal plant should. In fact it was a rather impressive plant which produced large closely spaced leaves of very good quality and reached over 6' in height. But it appears to be a type with a long maturity time, and that combined with the extremely late start it got in the field, it had just begun to bloom when frost usually hits here. This year was the latest first frost we have ever had so that gave it a chance to actually set a few seeds. That and being bagged and wrapped entirely with Agribon at night those last weeks was enough to get me a half dozen fully mature pods. I haven't tested the seed yet, but it looks good.

I was hoping you had better luck with yours than I did so we could swap some seed. As I said, it was an impressive looking plant I ended up with and I would like to do a proper grow out of it. It looked like a keeper. But I cringe at the thought of having only one selfed plant as a seed source.

Markw

I had Izmir plants a couple years ago that produced no seed. I had about 50 plants, about half of which were bagged and half left to open pollinate. They bloomed normally but for some unknown environmental reason, they apparently produced no viable pollen. The flowers didn't drop off and did go on to produce very small pods that had nothing inside. I have grown plants from the same seed twice since then and they behaved normally. Never had that happen with any types before or since.

That's interesting that was the same as mine this year. But it was a self sown plant from last year, and I expect it had crossed with another plant. it was a very small plant no taller than a couple of foot, but the interesting thing was it had a kind of dark blue flowers.

madhouse

That’s a strange one Mark all the flowers that did come out on my plants have been just pink but as Sky said this is a very impressive plant of good quality, smokes really nice.<O:p</O:p
I do have enough seed to swap if you need to Sky and I should have more soon if the plants indoors stop dropping there buds, I think I will get in touch with the person we got these from to see if there is something I am doing something wrong.<O:p</O:p
I cant find a lot of info on this one which is a real shame, I wonder if its just a hiccup this year and it will be ok the next although it does seem a little weird that we have had the seem or similar results with this one.<O:p</O:p

madhouse

Just a little update here are some pics of what is happening to the plants, as luck would have it the flowers seem to be growing now but as you can see from the pics the buds that first appeared just dropped of and the base of the bud went brown, this is a strange one hope they are ok next year, the plant seems very happy indeed?.

Bill

02012014200.jpg02012014201.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.