Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Student science experiment finds plants won't grow near Wi-Fi router

Status
Not open for further replies.

skychaser

Ninth-graders design science experiment to test the effect of cellphone radiation on plants. The results may surprise you.

http://www.mnn.com/health/healthy-s...ment-finds-plants-wont-grow-near-wi-fi-router

Five ninth-grade young women from Denmark recently created a science experiment that is causing a stir in the scientific community.

It started with an observation and a question. The girls noticed that if they slept with their mobile phones near their heads at night, they often had difficulty concentrating at school the next day. They wanted to test the effect of a cellphone's radiation on humans, but their school, Hjallerup School in Denmark, did not have the equipment to handle such an experiment. So the girls designed an experiment that would test the effect of cellphone radiation on a plant instead.

The students placed six trays filled with Lepidium sativum, a type of garden cress, into a room without radiation, and six trays of the seeds into another room next to two routers that according to the girls' calculations, emitted about the same type of radiation as an ordinary cellphone.

Over the next 12 days, the girls observed, measured, weighed and photographed their results. By the end of the experiment the results were blatantly obvious — the cress seeds placed near the router had not grown. Many of them were completely dead. Meanwhile, the cress seeds planted in the other room, away from the routers, thrived.

The experiment earned the girls (pictured below) top honors in a regional science competition and the interest of scientists around the world.

According to Kim Horsevad, a teacher at Hjallerup Skole in Denmark where the cress experiment took place, a neuroscience professor at the Karolinska Institute in Sweden, is interested in repeating the experiment in a controlled professional scientific environment.

Attachments

• Cress Collage.jpg
    Cress Collage.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 60

skychaser

Leaves Found Dying After Wi-Fi Radiation Exposure

http://www.emfnews.org/Leaves-Found-Dying-After-Wi-Fi-Radiation-Exposure.html

AMSTERDAM: As if our magnificent trees didn’t have enough problems, they’re now being threatened by our emails.

When they’re not being assailed by some foreign bug or moth, there’s often a council official looking for an excuse to cut them down.

Now researchers say radiation from wi-fi networks that enable our burgeoning online communications may be their latest enemy.

Research in Holland showed that trees that were planted in close proximity to a wireless router suffered from damaged bark and dying leaves.

The alarming study will raise fears that Wi-Fi radiation may also be having an effect on the human body and will lend weight to parents and teachers who have campaigned to stop wireless routers being installed in schools.

The city of Alphen aan den Rijn, in the West of the country, ordered the study five years ago after officials found unexplained abnormalities on trees which they did not believe had been caused by any known viral infection.

The researchers took 20 ash trees and exposed them to various kinds of radiation for three months.

The trees were exposed to six sources of radiation with frequencies ranging from 2412 to 2472 MHz and a power of 100 mW at a distance of just 20 inches.

Trees placed closest to the Wi-Fi radio developed a ‘lead-like shine’ on their leaves that was caused by the dying of the upper and lower epidermis.

This would eventually result in the death of parts of the leaves, the study found.

Researchers also discovered that Wi-Fi radiation could slow the growth of corn cobs.

In the Netherlands, about 70 per cent of all trees in urban areas show the same symptoms, compared with only 10 per cent five years ago, the study found. Trees in densely forested areas are not affected.

The scientists behind the research, which has not yet been published, said that further studies were needed to confirm whether it was Wi-Fi radiation that was to blame for the trees’ condition.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I have a number of house plants within inches of a Wi-Fi router. As long as the plants are properly watered, they seem to have no problem with the minimal radio waves emitted by the router. It's not ionizing radiation (which is intense enough to interact with subatomic particles), so the only likely effect is thermal, which drops off by the cube of the distance.

Now, microwave radiation, up close to a communications relay tower, and in the direct line of transmission, will roast a hot dog pronto. As for the Wi-Fi router, I would worry more about the nanoparticle-laced deodorant that we smear under our arms every day.

Bob

skychaser

Wireless routers, cell phones and microwave ovens all operate on about the same frequencies. Most are around 2.5 - 3 gigahertz. The reason a microwave oven uses that frequency range is because it causes the thermal effect most effectively. This frequency range causes water molecules to vibrate at an increased level producing heat, which is how microwaves cook things.

Wireless routers put out a microwave signal at around 1/100th of what a cell phone does when the cell phone boosts itself to maximum power. Phones automatically raise or lower their out put depending on the circumstance. If you are in an area with low signal strength, like in a car, a building with a lot of metal in the structure, or a long distance from the nearest tower, your phone tries to compensate for it by boosting its out put. And yes, the inverse square law applies to all forms of electromagnetic radiation. So when you double the distance from the source, the energy level drops to 1/4. Double the distance again and it is 1/16th, and so on.

Your microwave oven on the defrost mode operates at about 100 times the power level of a cell phone. A wireless routers signal strength is about 1/10000 the power level of your microwave oven on defrost. Holding a cell phone to your ear for a 10 minute call in a situation that causes it to boost to max and gives you the equivalent microwave dose as putting your head in a 1000 watt microwave oven on defrost for 6 seconds. Would you be willing to stick your head in a microwave on defrost for 6 seconds? Probably not.

Everything in our house is hard wired ethernet. No wireless at all. I had a cell phone from about 1997 until 2003 when I dumped it. That was about when they switched from analog and I learned what frequencies they now use. Many cordless phones use these same frequencies. Anything using between 1.5 - 4 gigs I avoid like the plague. My good ole Unidine cordless phone operates at 900 megahertz and works for a 1/4 mile from the house. It has more range than any of the newer phones do and doesn't use microwave frequencies. And I avoid things like nanoparticle-laced deodorant too. And every other chemical I can. And we grow as much of our own food as possible using 100% organic methods. And then I cancel out most of that by smoking. :?

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
There is an awful lot about electromagnetic radiation that we do not know. I also do not have any wireless stuff in my house. I agree with Bob that these devices do not generate ionizing radiation so therefore they should not have any biological effect but I am also reminded of the ridicule Dr Lister received when he tried to tell his colleagues that there were something called "germs' and that they should wash their hands to get rids of these invisible demons.

I look at it this way: "radiation" from cell phones or a wireless computer probably will not kill me but they are probably additive to the gasoline fumes I breathed in pumping gas this morning, the diesel fumes from the school buses, the plastic leaching out of my coffee maker when I make coffee etc.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Of course, a cell phone is not just a different technology from a land line phone. Dialing a land line phone number connects you to a location. Dialing a cell phone connects you to a person, regardless of that person's location. It's an entirely different communications model.

Did I say "cube" (and place it in bold italics)? Inverse square sounds more familiar. But...but...but I often hold a harmless cell phone right next to my brain.

Bob

leverhead

Did I say "cube" (and place it in bold italics)? Inverse square sounds more familiar. But...but...but I often hold a harmless cell phone right next to my brain.

Bob

I might be all wet..... Cube sounds right. The field is spherical, the volume goes up with the cube of the radius.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Surface Area of a Sphere = 4 pi r[sup]2[/sup]

Volume of a sphere = (4/3) pi r[sup]3[/sup]

The radiation exposure is inversely related to the surface area of a sphere whose center is the radiation source, and r is the distance to the target.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.