Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

How many varieties of Xanthi are there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Well then ...2!
Actually, To the pipe smokers of the world there can only be ONE and that would be Xanthi Yaka. As for how many "official" Xanthi are there? I do not know. I would imagine that any variety grown in the region could be called a Xanthi -xxx

istanbulin

Founding Member
Xanthi Basma refers to all Basma type tobaccos grown in Xanthi and near regions (including Xanthi Djebel) so it's far away from being a distinctive name for a variety. On the other hand Xanthi Yaka was probably derived by hybridization/selection with varieties in that region. There're different types of Xanthi all over the world because people took Xanthi (especially Yaka) seeds and grew/adapt them in different places. For example, Italians have Xanthi Yaka varieties like; Yaka Lecce, Abruzzi Yaka, Xanthi Puglia etc.

FALaholic

Xanthi Basma refers to all Basma type tobaccos grown in Xanthi and near regions (including Xanthi Djebel) so it's far away from being a distinctive name for a variety. On the other hand Xanthi Yaka was probably derived by hybridization/selection with varieties in that region. There're different types of Xanthi all over the world because people took Xanthi (especially Yaka) seeds and grew/adapt them in different places. For example, Italians have Xanthi Yaka varieties like; Yaka Lecce, Abruzzi Yaka, Xanthi Puglia etc.

Hey Doc, what Xanthi do the Greeks grow? I'm assuming from GRIN that it is Yaka.

istanbulin

Founding Member
First of all I must add that the real (scientific) variety name and marketing name are different things. For example, there're a lot of varieties growing in Aegean Region in Turkey like Karabağlar, Ege, İzmir Özbaş, Akhisar etc. but leaves are marketed worldwide as İzmir.
When it comes to Xanthi tobaccos, they're marketed as Basma Xanthi (Basma of Xanthi) and as Basma Djebel Xanthi ("Djebel" is an Arabic word means "mountain"). I'm sure there're too much varieties of Xanthi cultivated in Greece with scientists/institutes for enhancing qualities but I know some varieties like, Xanthi 81, Xanthi 2A, Xanthi 101 etc. As I recall Xanthi 2A was one of the popular varieties there but I don't know the situation today.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I might add that the word, "xanthi" (ξάνθη) means blond.

Djebel: mountain
Yaka: slope

Those definitions don't clarify it much, since, as we all know, we're now growing them all over the world.

Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
That is an interesting link to the Italian database. [use the keyboard PageDown button to see gobs of named varieties.]

Curious entries:
  • Latakia - N. tabacum
  • Latakie - N. tabacum
  • Tombac - N. rustica
  • Tombac de Perse - N. rustica
  • Tombac de Syrie - N. rustica
  • Tombac x Souffi - N. rustica
  • Tombaka - N. rustica
  • Toumbecki - N. tabacum
Notice that, of the Tombac, only Toumbecki is listed as N. tabacum.

Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you for that link. Although the document is interesting, it contains many errors in the authors' understanding of issues that are beyond their expertise (They are market experts). It should be considered only as a market snapshot from 1958. The pamphlet comes with no references, and cites longstanding myth with regard to Oriental varieties, and the conditions which result in differences in quality.

Below is a sampling of errors.

Birkhead JW and Davis AB: The Position of Oriental Tobacco in World Production and Trade said:
Cigarettes were developed more or less by accident, as a result
of a shortage of pipes and cigars during the Crimean War (1854-55).
(Page 2).

The leaves of many
types — Samsun, Xanthi, Prilep, and Prosochani— can be considered
as having the characteristics associated with slender petiole or
Tek-Kulak shape.
(Page 63).

The words ova, yaka, and djebel are sometimes used to mean
different types or varieties, but these terms relate only to elevation
or topography of the producing area and should not be used to
denote a specific or separate type or variety. These words should
properly be used to connote the differences in quality of a particular
type or subtype of a larger type grouping — such as Basma-djebel,
Basma-yaka, or Basma-ova—which result from the leaf being
grown in these areas.
(Page 66).

Cigarettes did not originate from the Crimean War, though the war did popularize their use in Europe.

While Samsun does have a petiole (separate stem segment connecting the lamina to the stalk), Xanthi and Prilep do not. This misinformation probably derives from the similar misunderstanding by Constantinides (writing 40 years earlier), who apparently examined only fully processed leaf, and never saw the plants actually growing.

The comment regarding usage of "elevation" words, such as "yaka" and "djebel" may be an expression of the authors frustration over the use of the terms, but have no connection to varietal naming convention accepted throughout the world.

Bob

istanbulin

Founding Member
I agree with you about the petiolate and sessile confusion. Both of these documents (Constantinides and USDA) have some serious errors. I think those docs. intended to be helpful for traders (or those concerned) as a brief report.

When it comes to words yaka and djebel, they were used for naming varieties like Xanthi Yaka and Djebel Basma (and more). Djebel is also the name of the town so I'm not sure if the djebel in the varietal name is an elevation word or the name of the town. Those words were important in old times, they were something like a quality indicator. Now, people are growing tobacco generally in lowlands because of some very well known reasons (costs etc). So "yaka" grown tobacco may be a nostalgia in coming years but Xanthi Yaka will be Xanthi Yaka always. BTW, new breeds (after 50s) generally don't have those words so in the modern world yes, there's no connection to varietal naming convention accepted throughout the world, but nobody can change the old given names. I think it's good to know where those sayings come from.

Planter

While Samsun does have a petiole (separate stem segment connecting the lamina to the stalk), Xanthi and Prilep do not.

Thanks, I should have spotted that myself... I actually found this document searching for more information on Tik Konlak / Tik Kulak / Tikolak / Tyk Kulak / Tek-Kulak (do these different spellings all mean the same tobacco?), which has a distinctly separate stem. Do you know where it originates from?

Status
Not open for further replies.