Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

My first attempt at whole stalk curing,{pics,}

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
DUE TO THE THREAT OF A FREEZE, i decided to cut a lot of my baccy,,, and let the suckers continue growing,,,

my experiment with whole stalk curing,,,i will update this thread as the baccy cures,

....the patch before chopping,

sam0292k.jpg

By chickenhawk435 at 2011-10-30
sam0294e.jpg

sam0293o.jpg

sam0295ok.jpg

sam0296ez.jpg

sam0300l.jpg

...and a couple leaves that were big enough for priming and hanging,

sam0279.jpg

By chickenhawk435 at 2011-10-30:cool:

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
You're going to want to get some air circulation in that shed. Take the walls down if you can, otherwise the leaf will start to rot. Stalk curing take a lot longer than primed leaves and mold has much more time to grow on green baccy with no air blowing past it.

At this point, I'd almost tell you to put your box fan on it.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
^^^^

thanks for the tip...

tomorrow im going to take the walls down...

i'll post updated pics,

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
updated pics of those same green plants a little later,,, you'll have to look at the dates the pics were took to determine the lenght of time,??

dinner002.jpg

By chickenhawk435 at 2012-01-08
/
dinner004.jpg

/
dinner005.jpg

///

i have noticed that the whole stalk hung plants dried a nice brown colour,, where the piled or hung while '' green'' leaves didnt brown so nicely,????

Daniel

Banned
Looks just like mine did. We finally have it all shredded and in the kiln. Yes we shredded before the kiln to fit all of it in in one shot. That is also why getting it in the kiln took so long. I am hoping it will all be ready to smoke in another 3 weeks. It is pushing it close but I really want to be smoking last years tobacco before we make the final selection for this year.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
i havent tried any of the '' hung'' baccy yet,,,,

but the leaves i piled, im thinking of processing some of it,,,

ive got a bunch of mason jars ready to be filled,

G-Chew

Im glad i saw your post here...I have a question for you...Once you had yer Baccy dry and ready to put into the Kiln...you shredded it...i'm assuming with your hands? and then what did you place it in to put it in the Kiln? if you put it in the kiln shredded do you have to rake through it or something to keep it from packing? what temp and humidiy did you use? and for how long? I would love to learn more..I am to this point now and after seeing your post here started getting excited... :)

G-Chew

Hey Chicken, what is the latest advice you can give on Kiln time, temp, humidity, and do you need airflow in and out of the Kiln?
Seems like you have learned a lot here lately...

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Christy a'lmighty you have a lot of tobaccy Chicken. Looks nice there too, it's just drab, 38*F and lifeless here.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
this post is from a year ago, it's probably all up in smoke already lol

it's interesting seeing pics of plants that werent suckered, branchy little bastards arent they? how did they smoke chicken?

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Fairtradetobacco doesn't seem to let me say F***. I would have said F*** if it let me. :p

BigBonner

Founding Member
A good tobacco knife , spear and tobacco sticks and the whole stalk curing would be easy . All you need then is a barn with rails to place the tobacco on .

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
my whole stalk curing turned out actually good,

allthough i prefer to hang the leaves, on a wire,

but my experiment with w,s,c, wasnt a total failure, i just dont have the '' room' for it,

johnlee1933

Founding Member
A good tobacco knife , spear and tobacco sticks and the whole stalk curing would be easy . All you need then is a barn with rails to place the tobacco on .
I've seen a couple of videos of the cutting and spearing. I don't call that easy. Maybe that's relative. As, for instance, climbing Mt. Everest. LOL

John

Rayshields

John, It actually is easy...if known...I got a tobacco spear on ebay for $10, cut my tobacco sticks on a table saw...didn't have a tobacco knife so I just used loppers. The only thing that takes a couple of attempts to get the hang of is spearing. Drive one end of the tobacco stake in the ground at a 45 degree angle, place the spear head on the stick, grab a stalk of tobacco with one hand near the bottom and the other about midway up the stalk, place a cut tobacco stalk centered on spear about 12 inches up from bottom...with a quick jerk pierce the stalk and slide onto stick...repeat...repeat

Knucklehead

Founding Member
BigBonner I like the way you have your sticks so they can walk around. Is that another use for your tobacco topping machine? LOL

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
John, It actually is easy...if known...I got a tobacco spear on ebay for $10, cut my tobacco sticks on a table saw...didn't have a tobacco knife so I just used loppers. The only thing that takes a couple of attempts to get the hang of is spearing. Drive one end of the tobacco stake in the ground at a 45 degree angle, place the spear head on the stick, grab a stalk of tobacco with one hand near the bottom and the other about midway up the stalk, place a cut tobacco stalk centered on spear about 12 inches up from bottom...with a quick jerk pierce the stalk and slide onto stick...repeat...repeat

Hey ray instead of loppers try using a cheap ass machete from Wallmart, cut a plant, stick the machete in the ground and continue on. $12 and it's easily resharpened if you ever need to.

Status
Not open for further replies.