Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

What is GRITS

Status
Not open for further replies.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Don
Haven`t had boiled peanuts in ages. With or without shells, with or without salt. How do you do yours?

The trick for good balled peanit is to get yer peanit from the granary or some place where they sell bird seed. You gotta start with fresh peanit...not roasted ones from the grocery store....they don't work.

I always ball (boil, with the proper Southern drawl) with the shell on...never dun it no other way...just wouldn't be right. In a 2 gallon pot, put 6 -8 tablespoons pickling salt, a gallon of peanits and a gallon of water, a splash of vinegar and a half a bottle of Franks hot sauce. Boil for 2- 3 hours and there done.

Sometimes I'll make them Yankee style and put 4 or 5 tablespoons of Old Bay seasoning in instead of the hot sauce.

bonehead

i must live to far north. i never had a boiled peanut in my life but heard about them a long time ago. i grew some peanuts with my kids when they were little. i do like homemade peanut brittle made with spanish peanuts though.

indianjoe

Founding Member
Don's right about the "green" goobers. We just dig them up here fresh, pick them off the vines and put them in a big pot to boil with salt to taste. When they are done, there's nothing like it. Every country store around these parts have them ready to eat and on football saturday's in the fall, they sell several hundred pounds of them per day.

janetta007

I like the Cajun Boiled ones, they have a little kick to them. Very easy to make in a crockpot. Here's my recipe.

There are two important things to consider when making boiled peanuts. First, they take a very long time to cook. After many unsuccessful times cooking on the stovetop (at some point, when they’ve cooked all day and still aren’t done, you just give up.) So, the best way to cook boiled peanuts is to use a Crockpot. Secondly, make sure to use raw peanuts opposed to roasted ones. Raw peanuts sometimes are also called “green” peanuts because of their raw state.

[h=3]Prep Time: 10 minutes[/h][h=3]Cook Time: 8 hours[/h][h=3]Total Time: 8 hours, 10 minutes[/h][h=3]Yield: 6 to 8 servings[/h][h=3]Ingredients:[/h]
  • 10 cups raw peanuts, washed
  • 1 tablespoon Cajun seasonings (like Tony Chachere’s)
  • 1/4 cup kosher salt
  • Water, as needed
[h=3]Preparation:[/h]1. Into a Crockpot, add raw peanuts, Cajun spice and salt. Add enough water to cover the peanuts. Turn Crockpot on to high and cook, covered, until peanuts are soft, about 8 to 10 hours.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
The trick for good balled peanit is to get yer peanit from the granary or some place where they sell bird seed. You gotta start with fresh peanit...not roasted ones from the grocery store....they don't work.

I always ball (boil, with the proper Southern drawl) with the shell on...never dun it no other way...just wouldn't be right. In a 2 gallon pot, put 6 -8 tablespoons pickling salt, a gallon of peanits and a gallon of water, a splash of vinegar and a half a bottle of Franks hot sauce. Boil for 2- 3 hours and there done.

Sometimes I'll make them Yankee style and put 4 or 5 tablespoons of Old Bay seasoning in instead of the hot sauce.

That's a worse Southern drawl than was in the "Gone With the Wind" movie! But, frankly my dear...

Status
Not open for further replies.