Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

New Year's Fireworks 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
200 pyrotechnicians using 100 synchronized computers from 400 launch positions

At 3:00 PM Eastern Standard Time on 31 DEC 2013 (midnight on the night of 31 DEC 2013, UTC + 4), the Persian Gulf state of Dubai will attempt to break a fireworks display record. (I guess Guinness doesn't count events like the WWII shelling of Stalingrad.)

They (actually the internationally renowned firm, Fireworks by Grucci, Inc.) plan to launch 400,000 fireworks in 6 minutes.

http://www.ansamed.info/ansamed/en/...t-break-fireworks-display-record_9836138.html

...filled 19, large shipping containers...

Today, Mr Zaalof will only say that next week’s extravaganza is costing “millions and millions of dollars”.

http://www.thenational.ae/uae/tourism/dubai-fireworks-bangs-dont-get-any-bigger

I haven't identified a site for watching it live.

Their rentier economy (free oil wealth) allows them to do this sort of thing.

If you snap any photos of nice fireworks, or know of a good video or site planning to show some spectacular fireworks, post them here.

Bob

istanbulin

Founding Member
Actually, Macy's 4th of July Fireworks was spectacular, the first (may be the last) time I saw that show in '11. It was very well organised and enjoyable show over the Hudson River. I wish there were some available space in 12th Ave. but it was still good from the 11th. I think, Dubai (or UAE) is now a little confused about where to spend that much money.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I don't understand why Dubai would be celebrating the 4th of July , let alone on January 1st.
The Dubai fireworks display is what you might consider a loss leader to bring wealthy tourists from all over the world to cough up big dollars for a room at one of the collosal hotels, and a staggeringly expensive ticket for one of the mind-boggling banquets/parties that will bring in the New Year.

The National.ae said:
35kg caviar

130kg foie gras

150 litres of chocolate in the chocolate river

250kg Atlantis prime rib

350kg chicken thighs

400kg tiger prawns

900kg Boston lobster

4,000 freshly shucked oysters

5,000 macaroons

15,000 bread rolls

http://www.thenational.ae/uae/tourism/dubai-fireworks-bangs-dont-get-any-bigger

Emirates 24/7 said:
On the 31st Armani hotel is fully booked out with the only option of Armani Dubai Suite which is priced at Dh40,000 [40000 United Arab Emirates Dirham equals 10890.28 US Dollars.]

The other two options are Armani Fountain Suite and Armani Executive Suite but can only be taken for a minimum stay of three nights.

http://www.emirates247.com/lifestyl...00-ahead-of-new-year-2014-2013-12-30-1.532891
Dubai is hoping to be a tourist economy, after the oil runs dry.

Bob

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I live next door to two fireworks stands. They always compete with one another with their "advertising" displays. I get a free fireworks show every New Years and Fourth of July. It's especially nice at the pond with the explosions reflected in the water. It's like a double show. I'll try to get some photos. Does anyone have any photographic advice?

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Thanks Bob. I went from a nice 35mm to a nice digital. I keep it set on all automatic so I've almost forgotten what the settings do. I'll probably have to get my book out.

Brown Thumb

That was awesome , watched in 3 times on my 50 in. Display. My kids even liked it.
I wonder how many man hrs. Went into that , let alone the size spaceing and 2 diff sections going off at once.
And I thought I knew how to blow money fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.