Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Hello from VA

Status
Not open for further replies.

wizardlydeeds

Hello, I'm Bobby. I am very knew at this, but I aim to start my Little Dutch seeds that just ordered somewhere between March 6-19 here in the central Shenandoah Valley. This is the first forum I have posted on pertaining to any topic, but I'm here trying to figure out how to produce and smoke my own cigars. Many thanks.

Markw

Hi and welcome to the forum, there is lots of information to be found on here. If you have any questions just ask there will always be someone who can point you in the right direction. Are you planning on growing any other strains to complement the Little Dutch.
Once again Welcome aboard

Knucklehead

Founding Member
What are you smoking now? You can start saving money and begin smoking premium world class cigars by rolling your own from Don's leaf at www.wholeleaftobacco.com. I guess it comes out to around $1 a stick or less to use the whole leaf.

wizardlydeeds

Thanks, everyone. I've been reading up on tobacco for a while, but I would appreciate any reading recommendations for a beginner as well as any suggestions about using this forum in general. There's a lot of figuring out to be done on my part.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
It will help later on if you put a general location in your profile. A lot of answers will depend on where you live and your typical weather.

wizardlydeeds

Hi and welcome to the forum, there is lots of information to be found on here. If you have any questions just ask there will always be someone who can point you in the right direction. Are you planning on growing any other strains to complement the Little Dutch.
Once again Welcome aboard

I decided to grow Little Dutch due to its fast maturing rate and small stature suitable for experimental locations. As far as I can tell through my research, I may be able to get wrapper, binder, and filler from it. I was planning on growing Little Dutch to roll half corona sized cigars. Any suggestions?

AmaxB

Hey Mr. wizard
I'm on the Va / WV line (Winchester area) I grew some stuff called Big Gold this year for cigs. But after curing and fermenting I have found it much more suited for Cigar Wrapper.
It grew very well for me the leaf is of a good size and thin with thin veins. It burns well so if not wrapper it could be used as a Valado too. Taste is spicy with pepper I'll be using mine as a wrapper.
It will air cure nicely if allowed, you can let the leaf mature well on the stalk before priming if you like, it will remain thin and smooth. This tobacco is about 100 days from plating in patch to prime.

I grew 14 varieties this year all did very well - I would think you are in a good spot. Do a soil test.....
Prime and cure your tobacco, than bring it into a case for handling and remove 2/3rds of the mid rib (each leaf) fold leaves in half length wise and stack to about 15 or 20. Than fold top to bottom. Makes a
nice bundle / package - stack in a container (med - large) filling it - leaf should be damp and ferment it at 118F to 127F for 30 to 60 days or more keeping it damp.

There is a lot of information here on the subjects you will need to do some reading......

Markw

I grew Little Dutch this year it is a nice compact plant but still has long leaves, it is classed a a filler but I expect you could use the larger leaf as a wrapper. It might be worth growing another strain to complement it such as a wrapper. It is early yet so you still have time if you want to.
As soon as you start growing tobacco, you will be hooked.

wizardlydeeds

Thanks for the advice. Do you mean that Big Gold grows particularly well here or are you just recommending a wrapper? I'm not sure about adding another variety to my first season. I'm not actually sure to what extent growing more than one variety will complicate my introduction into the process. I appreciate your advice, though, because I am just a young guy with hardly any experience with growing anything.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Virginians are welcome here.

Little Dutch will work well as wrapper for half-corona cigars. If the cigar is much thicker, Little Dutch leaves are usually not broad enough to use for wrapper.

Do read the grower's FAQ. If you do decide to grow a second variety for wrappers, Florida Sumatra does very well when sun-grown, and produces smooth, mildly flavored wrappers.

Best of luck with your first grow.

Bob

DGBAMA

Not much extra work to grow a few varieties, other than covering the flower heads to prevent cross pollination if you are going to save seeds. It is also good insurance in case one variety does not grow well you still have the others.

indianjoe

Founding Member
Welcome Virginia wizard, grow as many varieties as you have room to grow, you want regret it this fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.