Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

deluxestogie Grow Log 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
If a batch has not germinated after a week (at a suitable temperature), then I start a second try of that variety, while maintaining the first.

Bob

Planter

Usually Prilep start to germinate very soon. 3-5 days maximum. If it is from Ars-grin few days longer (in my case- probably older seeds) but two weeks?.. there is probably something wrong.

Yes, I wondered about that. Had the first appearing after 3-5 days, a few very weak ones a little bit later, then nothing anymore afterwards. Probably the germination rate of the seeds is just low for some reason. Will try again with two more batches.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Going green.

Garden20140318_1133_singleSeedling_400.jpg

Bob

chillardbee

Chilliwack BC, Canada (south western Canada)
If a batch has not germinated after a week (at a suitable temperature), then I start a second try of that variety, while maintaining the first.

Bob

That's a good idea. I was thinking that I was going to start a few more varieties than I was going to need so that in case some of the seeds I'm planning to grow don't start, I'll still have an oppertunity to grow something. Increase the odds of planting all 125 plots.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
On my enclosed back porch, the seedlings, now about 2-1/2 weeks since starting germination, think they're outdoors, and that it's Spring time.

Garden20140328_1137_seedlingTrays1per_300.jpg

Their covers are now left off all the time. For the occasional failed seedling, I go to the original germination cups and pluck a replacement. The lids of the cups are left ajar.

Garden20140328_1138_maintainingSeedCups_400.jpg

I'll keep the cups going for a few more weeks.

On my open front porch, I think I'm in my office, and that it's not yet Springtime.

Garden20140328_1136_BobInOffice_300.jpg

Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
What temperatures do you have in that enclosed porch?
The porch windows all have a plastic weather seal layer. The door opens into my kitchen, and is left open all the time. So the temp fluctuates between a few degrees cooler and a few degrees warmer than the kitchen.

It's not ideal, but it seems to get the job done without too much additional energy. During the warm months, I run an oscillating fan in the porch to keep the temps more stable, as well as to circulate air among the seedlings.

Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Rolling a large cigar requires no more time and effort than rolling a small cigar. A fat cigar provides a denser smoke per puff than a thinner cigar. If I've got the time for a real smoke, it only makes sense.

They are more expensive, though. That one probably consumes 75 cents worth of tobacco.

Bob

DGBAMA

Excuse my lack of sympathy, as you enjoy a world class cigar for the same cost as a convenience store Black-n-Mild. :rolleyes:

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
My soil analysis results arrived by email today. I ran 2 samples. Below is the result from 1 of them.

SoilAnalysis2014_Goff.JPG

The other was similar (in the same general ranges, though varying by about 20%), but with an even higher pH of 7.1. (VH means very high, usually not a problem for nutrients.)

From what I can determine, there's plenty of everything. The only issue seems to be the pH. Their recommendation ignored the pH, and just suggested adding 6:6:18 fertilizer for the hell of it. Since Virginia soils are, for the most part, too acidic, I added low-to-modest dolomitic limestone for several years, though not last season. I guess that didn't help the situation. [Curiously, the bed with Frenching last season shows the lower of the two pH readings.] BUT all the rest of the tobacco seemed to thrive.

So I'm going to ignore the facile recommendation for fertilizer. The matter of the most appropriate way to lower the pH a few tenths of a point is open for your suggestions. I suppose I could just use the same sulfur that's suggested for blueberries and azaleas.

Bob

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Here are some links I found that you may find informative. The third link discusses the relationship between ammonia fertilizers and soil pH. It states that adding ammonium will acidify the soil. The Kentucky link discusses sulphur.
http://www2.ca.uky.edu/agc/pubs/agr/agr1/agr1.pdf
http://msucares.com/pubs/infosheets/is0372.pdf
https://www.extension.iastate.edu/nwcrops/fertilizer_and_soil_ph.htm

The Kentucky link mentions a target pH of 6.6, so you're probably fine with 6.9. Quote from the Kentucky link.
"Lime Limestone should be applied in the fall and thoroughly mixed
with the soil one to two years ahead of the crop. If applied in the
spring before transplanting, or if more than 4 T/A are applied,
plow one-half down and disc in the other half for soils with a
water pH below 6.0.
Rates—If water pH is below 6.4, see page 5, and use the rate
appropriate for a target pH of 6.6."

Brown Thumb

That test looks pretty good, you got that back fast. Still waiting on mine. From what I have read there is no fast way to lower ph. But then again I could be wrong like usual. Chit I would use what you got and some nitrogen in the beginning.
For them to Rock & Roll.
BT

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Nitrogen levels are so transient, fluctuating with the weather, that they don't bother to report N. They just assume you'll put in what you will take out during the grow each year. The most interesting finding of this report is that the 40 bags of composted manure that I had planned to purchase for this year are unnecessary. I've been building the soil with it for years now.

About 3 feet below the surface, my entire growing area--I believe--is lined with a crumbly limestone/shale layer. So attempting to lower the pH may be a fool's errand. I'm considering just going with the soil as is.

Bob

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
The root ball is two ft. deep and maybe the same wide.(depending on the type) One fish in the hole and a worm or two and then the plant. Then some water. Hum? I told You You were fun LOL

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Nitrogen levels are so transient, fluctuating with the weather, that they don't bother to report N. They just assume you'll put in what you will take out during the grow each year. .

Bob

Nitrogen levels are indeed transient but by testing for "nitrates" you can get a better feel for your Nitrogen levels. The "nitrogen" levels I like to see in my soil are about 45 lb/acre for Nitrate and about 5 to 10 for Ammonia. I've fertilzed in the past, raising my Nitrogen level to about 80 and this gives me too much nicotine in my tobacco. A sulfur level would have been nice too know. Your pH might not be due to all the lime you've added in the past but rather from a low sulfur level. My soil's pH by the way is usually right at 7. I have no issues with my tobacco, it smokes and tastes fine. Most of the recommendations from Big Ag are for maximum quantity, not quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.