Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Burley leaves, could be used a tissue paper

Status
Not open for further replies.

FALaholic

I have been harvesting for some time now; 1.5 months. Some of my Burley had a chance to air age. Those leaves that manged to stay in low case; not brittle like dried leaves, is about as thin as tissue paper. Others are thinner than your cheapest brown paper bag. Very few manged to get the leather feel to them. I'm taking it that this is a sign of malnutrition.

DGBAMA

Had the same problem with a lot of mine this year. My conclusion/errors:
1. Mistook early yellow for ripening.
2. Too much water (record summer rains)
3. Not enough fertilizer
4. Not enough sun (see #2)

I will fix my mistakes and hope for better weather in 2014.

DGBAMA

My later primings when we got some dryer weather and more sun, had better leaf quality.

BigBonner

Founding Member
I have been harvesting for some time now; 1.5 months. Some of my Burley had a chance to air age. Those leaves that manged to stay in low case; not brittle like dried leaves, is about as thin as tissue paper. Others are thinner than your cheapest brown paper bag. Very few manged to get the leather feel to them. I'm taking it that this is a sign of malnutrition.

WATER is most of your problem .
Farmers here are running into way less pounds than we usually get per acre . I do mean way less pounds .
In a dry year my pounds will be fair unless it gets too dry and hot . In a wet year yields will be down . Shaded tobacco will be lighter to .

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
You're also dealing with an off-season crop. Regions with a perpetual growing season have traditional planting and harvesting times. Just because a seed will germinate and grow doesn't mean it will produce a viable crop.

Based on rice production in Indonesia, you harvested your leaf at the time of lowest production. Rice production rates in Indonesia are highest in March and then again in August. Based on this information, your seedlings should be ready to go in the ground next month for a March harvest.

FALaholic

WATER is most of your problem .
Farmers here are running into way less pounds than we usually get per acre . I do mean way less pounds .
In a dry year my pounds will be fair unless it gets too dry and hot . In a wet year yields will be down . Shaded tobacco will be lighter to .

I will admit, I've had some rain here. Yet nothing compared to the usual amount we get.
The remaining leaves on the stalk, all look to be thirsty. All leaves, South of the fist 3 sets of leaves, are all 90% white. Compounded with the fact that I have very sandy soil, has me set on fert being the problem.
But I will let them dry out some more and see. It has been about a week now with no rain. I'll keep you posted.

FALaholic

Based on rice production in Indonesia, you harvested your leaf at the time of lowest production. Rice production rates in Indonesia are highest in March and then again in August. Based on this information, your seedlings should be ready to go in the ground next month for a March harvest.

I refute your logic, and substitute S. Fla sunshine.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Thanks for the compliment, but it's not my logic. Tobacco has been grown for thousands of years and while there is the rare occasional where reinventing the wheel actually works (ie Bob's Flue Cured Oriental), the book has already been written.

Here's just one of them (that supports my logic), ironically titled "Growing tobacco in Florida.

Status
Not open for further replies.