Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Smoked Catfish

Status
Not open for further replies.

indianjoe

Founding Member
The catfishing has been extremely good for the past couple of weeks, several hundred at a time. A buddy of mine has a commercial smoke-house and offered to put a few in while smoking hams and sausage. I picked them up a couple of days ago and they tasted ok, not as good as I had hoped. Maybe I am just not doing it just right, I put a garlic butter on them before smoking. I really need to get this better cause I am out of freezer space with all four freezers full of hog, deer, catfish and steer. Anyone tried smoking catfish in particular?

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Never have. You might need to brine them before smoking. A simple salt brine could work or you can do something like I do for Steelhead Trout. My dog won't eat Steelhead trout if I grill it, poach it, or fry it, but he likes it smoked.

1/2 can of frozen orange juice
1/4 cup peanut oil
4-5 cloves garlic (smashed with paper on)
2 T salt
1 T ground pepper
1 or 2 lemons (squeeze the juice and slice them up)
1 quart water
1 t ground ginger or a big chunk of fresh ginger

Mix everything up in a zip-lock bag and put the fish in over night.

I've only used this to hot smoke stuff...works great for chicken too.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
When I grill trout, I occasionally use Zesty Italian salad dressing. It adds some really nice flavors. Marinate the fish in the dressing and then keep brushing it on while grilling. I have no idea how this would work smoked but it's great on a grill.

bonehead

we smoke many kinds of fish after marinating them in soy sauce (lots of salt in it) and spices. if you wan't them to last a long time they should be brined then washed in fresh water then seasoned before smoking. some people use cure on them and some don't.(nitrites) there are two different kinds depending if your product will be cooked of not. depends on the temp you take your product up to during processing.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
I'm pretty sure you have to use the cure if you're going to store the smoked fish without refrigeration. Maybe cold smoke them then pack in salt? Canning would be another option.

bonehead

I'm pretty sure you have to use the cure if you're going to store the smoked fish without refrigeration. Maybe cold smoke them then pack in salt? Canning would be another option.
preservation has a lot to do with the salt, smoke, cure if used and the finished moisture content. the dryer it is usually the longer it will last.

DGBAMA

For salmon we always soaked in a brine of salt, brown sugar, and a couple tablespoons of liquid smoke. Been dying to try it with catfish, just have not gotten around to it.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
A good article by "Chef Dave" on preserving and smoking catfish with a couple of recipes. http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080918030448AA6ozTO

Hot smoking and cold smoking tips: http://www.1-800-caviar.com/smoking-fish.html

Anambra Indiginous Youth--also has a link to catfish farming: http://anambrayouthfarmers.blogspot.com/2012/10/the-way-to-smoke-catfish.html

Babcock University info on microbes and preservation through smoking. Quite extensive information: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...J81-uWtPozirRurR-cL3Pzw&bvm=bv.58187178,d.aWc

Ishi

On Salmon I use Morton's Sugar Cure with about 1 TBL spoon of Morton's Tender quick per QT brine also. Soak in brine for 12 to 16 hrs rinse in water pat dry put on rack and refrigerate until it has a glaze, hot smoke 4hrs and leave in smoker until it is as dry as you like.

I figure the nitrate will perverse me!

indianjoe

Founding Member
Thanks for the info, I got another 35 yesterday and plan Friday to start trying some of the ideas youall gave me.

bonehead

my son gave me some smoked ahi from hawaii for christmas when he came home for a week and a half before heading to cordova alaska on the fifth to work for the prince williams sound aquaculture corporation. we make honey smoked salmon when we get filets of pink salmon.

BarG

Founding Member
Thanks for the info, I got another 35 yesterday and plan Friday to start trying some of the ideas youall gave me.

Way to go indianjoe, even on my best day you out cat fish me , heh heh. smoke them the way the indians did by drying with smoke?

My best and favorite suggestion is a FSH FRY.

indianjoe

Founding Member
BarG,
them fish frys is great, I furnished a hunting camp of 20+ last weekend. I caught another 105 Friday, which weighed 78 lbs.

indianjoe

Founding Member
Bonehead,
I have not tried it, but am gearing it up to give it and other methods a try. So far, I have been able to give away or trade out over half or more of my yearly catch and have several hundred pounds more already traded when I catch them.

Status
Not open for further replies.