Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

What did you like Last Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Markw

Well it has been raining here for the last few weeks and the moisture in my conservatory was very high. So today I decided to check all of my leaf for mould as the whole lot was! well you could have rolled a few cigars without getting into case. While I was going through the leaf I was remembering what an enjoyable year I have had.

Out of the 16 strains I grew last year I was thinking what was the best ones, and if I should grow them again next year. Don't get me wrong but they all grew well I had a few problems.

My best plants for RYO cigarettes has to be Jacks NB11 it's a big plant and very big cropper and colour cures and burns well.

For the Pipe I think Yellow Orinoco was the best, my pipe smoking friends love it.

For cigars this is a hard call I have not tried them all yet, but it is a toss up between Florida Sumatra, and TI 712,, I think the 712 pips it at the post .

So what has everyone grown last year and what was you favourite plants

Brown Thumb

I will keep it simple.
Big Gem grew the best and will grow again and is flue cured. Next year all flue cured Baccy.
Just figuring them all out now.

grgfinney

I want to keep it simple but there are too many strains i want to try, last year i grew va gold,black sea samson, maryland 609, keller,harrow velvet,ergo burly, poquanok,a common burley, burley 21,ytb,big gem,yellow orinoco,i like the harrow velvet and the ergo burley the best, beautiful plants, my va gold was pretty cool too after i primed the whole plant i let the suckers go and got a second harvest of about the same size and quality as the first, btw if anyone has some extra nb11 seed i would like to grow that this season also

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I'd grow Reams 158, Dixie Bright and Swarr filler again just to look at the plants. Beautiful.

Markw

Ha Brown Thumb
I have heard some good reports about Big Gem that is one that I plan on growing next year. I have not grown many flue strains over the past few years but plan to try some this year.

Hi GRG
I am planning on trying Maryland 609 this year. The seeds turned up to late last year. What do you think about the Burley 21 against the Ergo. O yes if you would like any NB11 seed just PM me and I will stick some in the post for you.

Hi Jekylnz
I don't know what to make of that NB11 or if it is a cross maybe Jack could jump in and tell us what he knows about it. I would say the leaves look more like a TN90 leaf than a VG leaf.

Ha Knucks
If I can find a few strains of beautiful plants I could fill up the X mother in laws garden with them and double my growing area. and she would even water them !! Happy Days. I don't know if she would be willing on doing the suckering for me as well LoL.

jekylnz

Jacks not to sure either. .sounds like a mild Burley from what I've been hearing so far. .but still waiting to make up my own opinion
Big jem is another one I hear good things about that I would like to try next year. .
Has anyone got any opinions on del gold? It was aparantly developed from Virginia 115..hicks..crossed with a rustica. .it sounds like a good strong cigarette flue type

DonH

Jacks not to sure either. .sounds like a mild Burley from what I've been hearing so far. .but still waiting to make up my own opinion
Big jem is another one I hear good things about that I would like to try next year. .
Has anyone got any opinions on del gold? It was aparantly developed from Virginia 115..hicks..crossed with a rustica. .it sounds like a good strong cigarette flue type
I liked Del Gold. It was a good producer and tastes pretty good. I really like Big Gem too as a flue cured. So this year I will probably grow 4 flue cured varieties: VA Bright Leaf, Del Gold, Big Gem, and African Red.

The only other flue cured I grew last year was Lizard Tail Orinoco. It tastes good but is not a good producer.

Markw

Thanks for the heads up on that, Just looking at what else you grew, just one question what is the poquanok ? is that a flue tobacco.

DonH

Catterton. Great producer, excellent Maryland flavor. Only way I can describe the flavor is "mahogany." But I've never tasted mahogany wood.

I've read that Maryland varieties are low in nicotine but I just smoked a puro cigarette of Catterton and I got a little dizzy. Maybe the one I smoked had a lot of upper leaf.

DGBAMA

Silver River. Grew it because of the reported slight menthol taste which I have yet to notice. What it does have is a very unique flavor which I like and is hard to describe. A spectacular grower and easy cure.

Turkish izmir. Did not even plan this one but was given seeds so planted it. Flavorful and aromatic. First time I shredded a pound or so, it filled the room with a fruit/slightly sweet tobacco aromaThat almost gave me second thoughts about burning it. Just wonderful.

Markw

Hi Dgbama
Yes that Silver River is a good plant, I grew it last year and gave it a good lot of fertilizer once a week. Never noticed a menthol taste. This year I just stuck them in the ground and let them get on with it, I did not use any fertilizer this year, I can notice the slight menthol flavour this year. I am hoping to grow Izmir this year if I get some seed.

DGBAMA

Hi Dgbama
Yes that Silver River is a good plant, I grew it last year and gave it a good lot of fertilizer once a week. Never noticed a menthol taste. This year I just stuck them in the ground and let them get on with it, I did not use any fertilizer this year, I can notice the slight menthol flavour this year. I am hoping to grow Izmir this year if I get some seed.

If you don't find seed closer, I have plenty of seed. Pm me and iwill send you some.

Brown Thumb

You guys talking about Silver River made me pull a bag of Kilned and shred it up.
I rolled one up and it has a taste and smell of Cedar wood. I do not have much of a sniffer on me but I know Cedar when I smell it. I Milled millions of bf of that stuff. I like it also.

DonH

You guys talking about Silver River made me pull a bag of Kilned and shred it up.
I rolled one up and it has a taste and smell of Cedar wood. I do not have much of a sniffer on me but I know Cedar when I smell it. I Milled millions of bf of that stuff. I like it also.
I agree, cedar describes it better than menthol.

DGBAMA

Going to revisit the silver river now. Cedar may be a good explanation; and would explain me liking the flavor......cut a LOT Of cedar growing up.

Status
Not open for further replies.