Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Havana in Cigs ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brown Thumb

Why does nobody use Havana in there chokes.
I googled it and found nothing.
I gave my brother a big bag for Christmas and he did the blending to his taste and the Havana got him to the Winston taste he was looking for.
BT

winston-smoker

Why does nobody use Havana in there chokes.
I googled it and found nothing.
I gave my brother a big bag for Christmas and he did the blending to his taste and the Havana got him to the Winston taste he was looking for.
BT

Cigar tobacco got him to the Winston taste?! Do you have any idea what he used in his blend, besides the Havana? I'm still in disbelief!

DonH

I'm all in favor of it. There was something missing in my cigarette blends until I added a small amount of Bolivian Black Criollo. I think any cigar variety would do the trick.

Brown Thumb

Cigar tobacco got him to the Winston taste?! Do you have any idea what he used in his blend, besides the Havana? I'm still in disbelief!
I have no flue how he got to what he tasted and made.
But it had Silver River, Va309, Va 509, Catterton , Big Gem, Izmir , PA Red in it and some of Dons Flue cured all three.
I think he has been smoking that Bagged Chit from the store for too long.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Smokesahoy and BarG both told me they use Havana 142 in some of their cigarette blends and both gave it a big thumbs up. I've also been told it makes a pretty good single variety cigarette. Leverhead was recently bragging on Havana 425 in his cigarette blend. (pretty sure it was 425)

AmaxB

To a Winston? Have not had one of those in the area of 6 years and I did like Winston. Is funny to see this thread I was talking to some one yesterday and was told something on this line.
I'll be trying it... and following the thread.

jekylnz

I also smoke havana in my daily cigarettes..I originally started doing it when I ran out of Burley. .and my v.g /turk needed some kick..so added a bit of havana..now smoke it all the time. .people don't like the smell much tho. .hahahaa...well people that don't like cigar smell..

leverhead

I don't really remember what a Winston tasted like, I smoked them for 25+ years. They tasted like crud for quite a while, I don't miss them. I used some of BarG's 2012 Havana 425 in the last batch I cut, along with Maryland, flue-cured and mixed Turkish. I think it went well with the Turkish and makes a tasty but different cigarette.

winston-smoker

As you can guess from my user ID, I smoked Winston for some time, about 15 years ... until RJR changed it in late 1996. But the "old" Winston has always been, to me, the benchmark of the "perfect cigarette." Sometimes I wonder, after all this time, whether my memory of the Winston taste may have gotten somewhat romanticized. But I know what I like, and I have a hard time believe that adding a cigar tobacco to a cigarette blend would achieve anything I'd find desirable. Though I have smoked, and enjoyed, cigars on rare occasion, it's the lingering aftertaste I get from cigars, and I'm talking about "premium" cigars here, that makes my smoking of them a rarity. Last time I smoked a cigar was last September, and that was the first time in a few years.

DonH

Winston, the key is to add only a little cigar type tobacco to the blend. 10% or less. Believe me it doesn't taste like a cigar. Especially if the cigar tobacco was not cured in the Caribbean.

winston-smoker

DonH,
For a small quantity of cigar tobacco, would you suggest shredding a cigar?
Or would getting a 3.5 ounce tin of D&R Don Giovanni Sigaretta be a better idea?
Also, what is the difference between the curing of cigar tobacco in the Caribbean as opposed to elsewhere?
I'm still skeptical about this idea, but I'm open to experimenting a little.

istanbulin

Founding Member
You asked it to DonH but I tried Dominican Seco in a cigarette blend and I liked it. You may try to buy some of those cigar filler leaves from WLT.

winston-smoker

You asked it to DonH but I tried Dominican Seco in a cigarette blend and I liked it. You may try to buy some of those cigar filler leaves from WLT.

Doing that would be too large a quantity to "experiment."
I must say, though, the mention of "Winston taste" in this thread grabbed my attention!

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
I used some 3 year old Havana 142 in a few cigarettes. Reminds me exactly of a Cohiba branded cigarette without the stale taste.

DonH

DonH,
For a small quantity of cigar tobacco, would you suggest shredding a cigar?
Or would getting a 3.5 ounce tin of D&R Don Giovanni Sigaretta be a better idea?
Also, what is the difference between the curing of cigar tobacco in the Caribbean as opposed to elsewhere?
I'm still skeptical about this idea, but I'm open to experimenting a little.
You could shred a cigar. I would get the mildest cigar you can find and just put in a little bit and see what happens. if you like the result I could send you some of johnlee's cigar leaf.

leverhead

+/- 5% of a flue-cured in a cigarette, you wouldn't notice. +/- 5% of more flavorful tobaccos you can't miss. Blended with other small components it can make big changes in the final taste. Slicing up a cigar might not be a bad idea for you WS.

winston-smoker

+/- 5% of a flue-cured in a cigarette, you wouldn't notice. +/- 5% of more flavorful tobaccos you can't miss. Blended with other small components it can make big changes in the final taste. Slicing up a cigar might not be a bad idea for you WS.

I believe your five percent threshold, because when I've blended pipe tobaccos with strong flavoring, even at around 10%, I could still detect the added flavors. In a few cases, even at less than <10% the toppings were still overpowering.

Brown Thumb

I rolled a cigg of pure Havana, unknown strain last night and lit her up.
She was not to bad, smoked slow and even.
But was missing something.

Matty

I used to put a bit of cigar leaf in my smokes all the time. I had a lot of scraps from rolling cigars with some Indonesian leaf. They were pretty tasty cigs. CT shade leaf works good too. FMgrowit once said something to the effect that Havana 142 was all a cig grower could grow and he'd be happy. This year I grew mostly virginias and burleys but I did have a few Havana 142s. I've air cured everything and what I've sampled seems promising, time will tell, aging time that is. On their own, my leaf comes off smelling cigary, but has sweet tobacco flavors unlike a cigar. Blended with flue cured it opens a whole 'nother world of blending a cigarette.

Status
Not open for further replies.