Whole Leaf Tobacco
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

fertilizer for seeds

Whats a good liquid fertilizer to mix with water to use in a misting bottle ?
    I want to try using more than just water to irrigate my seeds.

fertilizer for seeds

i'd suggest using a FISH EMULSION fertilizer liquid,,,

i start all my seeds with fish emulsion, a good source of food, and nitrogen for the little ones,

fertilizer for seeds

A common mix is liquid fish and liquid kelp. The fish supplies the normal "NPK" nutrients and the kelp supplies dozens of micro-nutrients as well as plant hormones. Use sparingly.

Founding Member

fertilizer for seeds

Cowboy

I would be carefull using any fertilizer on new seds until the plants are about te size of a dime . Most soil should have enough fertilizer to make seedlings grow . If there is alot of fertilizer in the soil you use then you add more to your water then you have overfertilized your seedlings .

The soil I use is formulated for tobacco . Some comes fortified with fertilizer some don't .Fertilized tobacco soil will be good on water alone for three weeks before fertilizer is applied to the water .

I assume you will be using Float trays . Is this correct ?

If anyone needs 72 cell float trays let me know .

fertilizer for seeds

I am using a float tray with a grow light and glass top.
    Would Some fishing pond water work? we have a large pond in our backyard stocked with , Bass,Catfish, Bluegill,etc.
    If not I will see if i can find some fish emulsion at the co-op.

fertilizer for seeds

If you want your seeds to pop faster, try 1-2 drops of superthrive in a gallon of water. mist seeds as needed. you can also use this when feeding the plants. all organic root developer. better roots= better plant

superthrive

Quote Originally Posted by Steve2md View Post
    If you want your seeds to pop faster, try 1-2 drops of superthrive in a gallon of water. mist seeds as needed. you can also use this when feeding the plants. all organic root developer. better roots= better plant
    Whats your opinion on that superthrive, the woman I bought my little bottle from swears by it, but I thought you used on already sprouted seedlings and trans plants Steve2md. You don't realy get any directions except for dosage. She also convinced me to get some Hasta grow.
    Last edited by BarG; 03-23-2012 at 10:03 PM. Reason: typos

fertilizer for seeds

Quote Originally Posted by BarG View Post
    Whats your opinion on that superthrive, the woman I bought my little bottle from swears by it, but I thought you used on already sprouted seedlings and trans plants Steve2md. You don't realy get any directions except for dosage. She also convinced me to get some Hasta grow.
    I tryed the hasta grow 6-12-6 on some germinating seeds in peat moss,vermiculite and perlite.
    they turned blue and died, I think it was to soon for the fertilized mist. Question still remains on superthrive, I'm scared to use anything but well water for the time being.Restarted any damaged varietys except for one that I'm out of seeds[bursa].
    Last edited by BarG; 03-23-2012 at 10:14 PM. Reason: soilless mix ingrediants

fertilizer for seeds

I use it when I sprout seeds for my OTHER hobby. Some patients around here have black thumbs, so I will pop their seeds for them often, and grow them until they are out of red solo cup size, then hand their plants over. They either make a "donation" of $20 or toss me some meds, or maybe deer jerky, or..... I dig the barter system, but the few 20s I get in there do cover the cost of electricity and nutrients. I swear by superthrive. I use it every other watering on my meds. I will probably go just once a week on tobacco. it seems to be much less finicky . try sifted cactus potting mix and start with only 1 drop of superthrive per gallon of sprouting water. that stuff is designed to not burn and is all organic. DO NOT use fertilizer on seeds or sprouts!!! wait until they are in the ground or your final pot size. Keep the seeds moist! not wet! they'll pop, and I'd be willing to bet you have a higher germination rate too.

fertilizer for seeds

Dissolved 1/4 teaspoon of saltpeter in a quart of water, wet a small paper towel and sprinkled on a few seeds from 2011 crop, folded the towel over and placed in a baggie, kept at 78-85 degrees with a little bit of sunlight part of the day. Results: Silver River, Havana 425, Monte Calme (Yellow or Brun don't know yet) and Yellow Twist Bud had signs of busting out less than 48 hours later and little tiny roots by 53 hours. Golden Wilt, Huehuetenago, TN90, Silk Leaf, Small Stalk BM looking OK but no signs of busting out...yet. Do not plan on fertilizer until they have at least 2 true leaves but a liitle weak application with 4 true leaves.

Question....when can little, itty, bitty sprouts be put outside with a little shade cloth covering in 60 to 80 degree weather? If soon, that would be great.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast