Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

fertilizer for seeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

cowboyjames74

Whats a good liquid fertilizer to mix with water to use in a misting bottle ?
I want to try using more than just water to irrigate my seeds.:confused:

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
i'd suggest using a FISH EMULSION fertilizer liquid,,,

i start all my seeds with fish emulsion, a good source of food, and nitrogen for the little ones,

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
A common mix is liquid fish and liquid kelp. The fish supplies the normal "NPK" nutrients and the kelp supplies dozens of micro-nutrients as well as plant hormones. Use sparingly.

BigBonner

Founding Member
Cowboy

I would be carefull using any fertilizer on new seds until the plants are about te size of a dime . Most soil should have enough fertilizer to make seedlings grow . If there is alot of fertilizer in the soil you use then you add more to your water then you have overfertilized your seedlings .

The soil I use is formulated for tobacco . Some comes fortified with fertilizer some don't .Fertilized tobacco soil will be good on water alone for three weeks before fertilizer is applied to the water .

I assume you will be using Float trays . Is this correct ?

If anyone needs 72 cell float trays let me know .

cowboyjames74

I am using a float tray with a grow light and glass top.
Would Some fishing pond water work? we have a large pond in our backyard stocked with , Bass,Catfish, Bluegill,etc.
If not I will see if i can find some fish emulsion at the co-op.

Steve2md

If you want your seeds to pop faster, try 1-2 drops of superthrive in a gallon of water. mist seeds as needed. you can also use this when feeding the plants. all organic root developer. better roots= better plant

BarG

Founding Member
superthrive

If you want your seeds to pop faster, try 1-2 drops of superthrive in a gallon of water. mist seeds as needed. you can also use this when feeding the plants. all organic root developer. better roots= better plant

Whats your opinion on that superthrive, the woman I bought my little bottle from swears by it, but I thought you used on already sprouted seedlings and trans plants Steve2md. You don't realy get any directions except for dosage. She also convinced me to get some Hasta grow.

Last edited:

BarG

Founding Member
Whats your opinion on that superthrive, the woman I bought my little bottle from swears by it, but I thought you used on already sprouted seedlings and trans plants Steve2md. You don't realy get any directions except for dosage. She also convinced me to get some Hasta grow.

I tryed the hasta grow 6-12-6 on some germinating seeds in peat moss,vermiculite and perlite.
they turned blue and died, I think it was to soon for the fertilized mist. Question still remains on superthrive, I'm scared to use anything but well water for the time being.Restarted any damaged varietys except for one that I'm out of seeds[bursa].

Last edited:

Steve2md

I use it when I sprout seeds for my OTHER hobby. Some patients around here have black thumbs, so I will pop their seeds for them often, and grow them until they are out of red solo cup size, then hand their plants over. They either make a "donation" of $20 or toss me some meds, or maybe deer jerky, or..... I dig the barter system, but the few 20s I get in there do cover the cost of electricity and nutrients. I swear by superthrive. I use it every other watering on my meds. I will probably go just once a week on tobacco. it seems to be much less finicky . try sifted cactus potting mix and start with only 1 drop of superthrive per gallon of sprouting water. that stuff is designed to not burn and is all organic. DO NOT use fertilizer on seeds or sprouts!!! wait until they are in the ground or your final pot size. Keep the seeds moist! not wet! they'll pop, and I'd be willing to bet you have a higher germination rate too.

Tom_in_TN

Dissolved 1/4 teaspoon of saltpeter in a quart of water, wet a small paper towel and sprinkled on a few seeds from 2011 crop, folded the towel over and placed in a baggie, kept at 78-85 degrees with a little bit of sunlight part of the day. Results: Silver River, Havana 425, Monte Calme (Yellow or Brun don't know yet) and Yellow Twist Bud had signs of busting out less than 48 hours later and little tiny roots by 53 hours. Golden Wilt, Huehuetenago, TN90, Silk Leaf, Small Stalk BM looking OK but no signs of busting out...yet. Do not plan on fertilizer until they have at least 2 true leaves but a liitle weak application with 4 true leaves.

Question....when can little, itty, bitty sprouts be put outside with a little shade cloth covering in 60 to 80 degree weather? If soon, that would be great.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I had cotyledon only seedlings (just the two tiny seed leaves) in 48-cell trays, under a humidity dome, covered with doubled Agribon-AG15 (so ~20% shade) with 1/2 day of full sun (through glass) daily for about 4 days. They are now under only single layer Agribon (so ~10% shade), with no dome, though still behind window glass.

If you introduce them to direct sun gradually, they seem to tolerate it well, though you have to still keep the soil moist. Mine are in ~70ºF, and growing well. Once they have true leaves, and look sturdy enough to endure the elements, I'll take them outside for a gradual introduction to the real thing.

Bob

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
i believe it's time to incorporate a fert, to my young plants,

i got some yellowing on my burley strain,,,,,looks like it needs nitrogen,

so they are all getting it,

Daniel

Banned
Chicken, I see my starts yellowing as a first sign they are to wet also. I also fertilize mine as soon as they have 4 true leaves. Opinons vary as to fertilizing starts before they are set out. Some say it makes a pampered weak plant that is delayed when transplanted. I did not notice that so much. But then I keep on pampering my plants even after they have been transplanted. I am going to have to pay more attention to how to produce a start that can be planted and then left to the mercy of Mother Nature this year. I am gong to try and start them with vey little fertilizer. harden them by lettign them dry out the week before they get planted out as well as the regular week long hardening off by exposing them to the outdoors and full sun.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
how to produce a start that can be planted and then left to the mercy of Mother Nature this year. .

One thing you can do is pay careful attention to which of your plants are growing better in relation to all the others. Save that seed and keep doing that for several years. That way you will be "breeding" seeds for plants that grow best in you micro climate. I'd suggest coming up with some criteria now, then when you visit your plants this summer take note in a notebook. Criteria I've used in the past are (a) first to bud, (b) least amount of aphids and (c) overall vigor. You might want to add something like (d) least resistant to wilting

Randy B

mackavally

in your area see if you can pick up some aozmite what it is is minreals i have stareded with this with tamatos and theck stroung baces man i need a good spell check

Status
Not open for further replies.