Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Pennsylvania broadleaf

Status
Not open for further replies.

jekylnz

Im loving this broadleaf. ..the thinness of the leaf the way it rolls..I got some of my leaf that had cured on the plant just so I could have a go..see how they turn out. .rolled me a couple of p.a broad puro's..can't wait till they dry out enough for me to try one..im expecting them to be mild..but that would make them good wrappers..
13891633730660.jpg

istanbulin

Founding Member
Re: pennsilvania broadleaf

...I got some of my leaf that had cured on the plant just so I could have a go...

So are those leaves are lugs (or other lower leaves) ? The wrapper is looking really light colored, almost like a shade grown.

Ben Brand

Were those sun or shade grown? Still can`t make up my mind what wrappers to plant next year. Think Con broadleaf, Pen broadleaf and Con shade.

Knucklehead

Founding Member

Bob has a good summary of the cigar varieties he grew in his 2013 grow blog.

rainmax

Founding Member
I have grown Con. Shade, Penn.Broadleaf, Dixie Shade, Moonlight, Florida Sumatra.
Florida Sumatra is winner in my case. I like Pennsylvania Broadleaf also but I get better wrappers from Havana 38. I don't know about taste in those two. I haven't try them yet.
Florida Sumatra is definitely in my next (this) year's grow. More Sun than last year.

jekylnz

Were those sun or shade grown? Still can`t make up my mind what wrappers to plant next year. Think Con broadleaf, Pen broadleaf and Con shade.
Penn ..and con broad I sun grew..but grew magnolia. Ct49.fl sumatra & con shade in shade..magnolia came out real febile in shade..had to keep propping th up with stakes..ct 49 was similar. .

jekylnz

More rain here today 7:30am (1/9) where has my usual summer gone? Its been like monsoon weather? ?:(:confused:

Also may cause rot in my curing leaf..I hope not..have to keep a close eye on things

jekylnz

I have grown Con. Shade, Penn.Broadleaf, Dixie Shade, Moonlight, Florida Sumatra.
Florida Sumatra is winner in my case. I like Pennsylvania Broadleaf also but I get better wrappers from Havana 38. I don't know about taste in those two. I haven't try them yet.
Florida Sumatra is definitely in my next (this) year's grow. More Sun than last year.

So you recommend f.l sumatra is better with more sun max?

The f.l im currently growing is a bit behind in age than my other wrapper..and on the end so gets more sun..im hoping this may be better from what you've said?

istanbulin...they probably are basically shade grown due to the density of my plants and yes mud/sand lugs..dryed on plant..

Last edited:

rainmax

Founding Member
I have it in partial shade this year and one on the full sun. In my case was better sunny one. I decide to give more sun to this beautiful wrapper in 2014. It's elastic, leathery, dark redish brown when fermented.

rainmax

Founding Member
I can not tell you about the taste yet cause I didn't really take the time to taste it properly. About leaf quality I can say that I'm not happy. Moonlight is very fragile and I did just a hole in the hole when sorted leaves out of the curing chamber. Anyway I don't like very thin wrapper with my rolling skills. Maybe I kill it with over temperature for such a tiny leaf. Same with Dixie Shade. Not enough sun for shore. I believe it was my mistake.
I will try some other wrapper this year.

jekylnz

I can not tell you about the taste yet cause I didn't really take the time to taste it properly. About leaf quality I can say that I'm not happy. Moonlight is very fragile and I did just a hole in the hole when sorted leaves out of the curing chamber. Anyway I don't like very thin wrapper with my rolling skills. Maybe I kill it with over temperature for such a tiny leaf. Same with Dixie Shade. Not enough sun for shore. I believe it was my mistake.
I will try some other wrapper this year.

Sometimes too much water during grow makes crap too thin leaf also?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
As I noted in my 2013 grow log, I grew FL Sumatra and Moonlight under identical conditions (full sun during a rainy summer). The Moonlight is much more fragile than the FL Sumatra, is lighter in color, is taller.

In Connecticut, CT Shade is grown under 40% shade cloth (all day sun), and each stalk is supported by a wire wrapped about the stalk and suspended from the shade structure, since these plants cannot support themselves when grown beneath 40% shade.

Bob

jekylnz

As I noted in my 2013 grow log, I grew FL Sumatra and Moonlight under identical conditions (full sun during a rainy summer). The Moonlight is much more fragile than the FL Sumatra, is lighter in color, is taller.

In Connecticut, CT Shade is grown under 40% shade cloth (all day sun), and each stalk is supported by a wire wrapped about the stalk and suspended from the shade structure, since these plants cannot support themselves when grown beneath 40% shade.

Bob
Thats something I'll remember to do next time. .I had never heard much about being suspended from the shade cloth. Stakes worked ok tho..ct was strong enough on its own..I imagine if you have more wind it may be different. .

rainmax

Founding Member
CT Shade is grown under 40% shade cloth (all day sun), and each stalk is supported by a wire wrapped about the stalk and suspended from the shade structure, since these plants cannot support themselves when grown beneath 40% shade.

Bob

I know now. That's why I need to help this plant to support all the time. Thanks Bob. I saw on someone grow log that they are tied up on rope and hanged from above. Johnlee1933 maybe. I was thinking in that time like I don't have problem with wind. Next time.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, that was Johnlee1933. He directly observed that technique during his visits to commercial growers of shade leaf in the Connecticut Valley.

Bob

Ben Brand

Bob
Had some strong winds last night, my wrappers took a bit of a beating, think what saved me was that Iv`e put mounds of soil around the base of the plants. I think its best if I alsi use string to keep my plants from falling over. Question: do I tie the string from the base, and then tie the plant to the string? Never done the string method before.

leverhead

Hang a string from above to the ground, wrap the string around the stalk in a long spiral downward and finish with a single half hitch. As the plant grows, you can continue the wrapping upward. The stalk is sticky enough that a cotton string doesn't slip.

Status
Not open for further replies.