Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Saving postage when mailing seeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack in NB

Founding Member
I recently received 2 batches of seeds in the mail - thanks Bob and Matty!

But the postage was $7 and $10 on the padded mailing envelopes. Whew!

The seeds I received from GRIN a while back were just the small brown paper envelopes, wrapped with a letter, and mailed in an ordinary envelope for a buck or so. No padding, and no apparent crushing damage from the postal system - there was no dust or fragments in the envelopes when opened. Excellent germination from them.

I'd guess that they know what they're doing! But as an extra precaution I've taken a piece of legal envelope sized postcard stock and cut openings to fit the small plastic baggies. Added more light cardboard front and back, scotch taped the layers, and inserted in the standard long envelope. In Canada, this size envelope can be up to 3/4 inch thick and still qualify tor standard letter postage - a buck or so now.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Having wasted considerable time, materials and effort on seed that arrived crushed by postal machines, I decided several years ago to always use a padded envelope for tobacco seed. The greatest cost is:
  • my time and materials in bagging plants
  • my time in harvesting the seed heads
  • my time in extracting and cleaning the seeds
  • my time and effort in storing and maintaining the seeds
  • my time in selecting, packaging and labeling the seeds
  • my time in addressing the envelopes and transporting them to the post office
  • your time in attempting to germinate the seed
  • your materials required to attempt to germinate the seed.

I consider the Postal Service to be the weakest link.

Bob

Brown Thumb

I just sent them tomato seeds to Texas and I just wrapped the packet in paper towel.
It is light and cheap and should work as a good cushion. No extra postage either in a standard envelope.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I've received seeds in a non-padded envelope before that were crushed and had zero germination. Under the right circumstances, a padded envelope can save someone's season. I'd rather refund someone the price of postage and envelope than receive free seed that I can't use.

Status
Not open for further replies.