Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

My N.Rustica-my first ever attempt at growing

Status
Not open for further replies.

TarantulaDan

This is my N. Rustica ,grew it in a small glass tank usually used for tarantulas .These pics were taken at 3 and 4 weeks. I used some peat that I had left over from cleaning out one of my spider tanks ,it works wonders as a growth medium

Attachments

• 20131224_111020[1].jpg
    20131224_111020[1].jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 155
  • My_Mapacho[1].jpg
    My_Mapacho[1].jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 167

Knucklehead

Founding Member
It looks like it's coming along nicely. How many plants do you plan to grow this year?

TarantulaDan

I had planted about 10 seeds,all I had and this is the only one that grew so it looks like this will be the only one.But as soon as spring comes round again(Sept/Oct) I will look into growing more .

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Is it too late to start more for this season? This forum can probably round up some seed.

TarantulaDan

I already got some seed from Ben Brand which arrived earlier this week ,I could grow them indoors but its unfortunately a tiny bit restrictive for me since my landlady is very anti-tobacco and would not be impressed . planning an outdoor grow for later this year ,want to use the time to learn and learn and learn. thanks though

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I already got some seed from Ben Brand which arrived earlier this week ,I could grow them indoors but its unfortunately a tiny bit restrictive for me since my landlady is very anti-tobacco and would not be impressed . planning an outdoor grow for later this year ,want to use the time to learn and learn and learn. thanks though

Ben's a good guy. What varieties do you have now, including the ones he sent? Will you be growing for cigars?

TarantulaDan

Ben's a good guy. What varieties do you have now, including the ones he sent? Will you be growing for cigars?
I have the Rustica and and ben sent me some Samsun Turkish ,Hickory Pryor ,Sweet River Burley and some Paris Wrap . I plan on growing for cigarettes. But I might also experiment with cigars i will see how the first grow goes

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I don't think jungle conditions are necessary. Rusticas do well all over America. I don't think any tobacco likes to be over watered. They will wilt down during the day in really hot, dry conditions and stand back up at night. That's normal.

DonH

I don't think jungle conditions are necessary. Rusticas do well all over America. I don't think any tobacco likes to be over watered. They will wilt down during the day in really hot, dry conditions and stand back up at night. That's normal.
Yes, what Knucks said. Rusticas were originally grown in the temperate areas of North America, including the colder parts by the natives.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I'll grow my first rusticas this year so I can't say. I was about to ask the same question. It looks like you're doing a good job. Bottom watering is the best way to water tobacco which you seem to be doing. Better for root growth. Just enough water should wick right up.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
you may want to look into '' how'' you started them seeds, getting a seed to sprout, isnt tricky it's the growing of that sprout that is tricky,,,, dont use too course of a starting mix, because the seeds are very small. and if it falls into a crevace, in the soil, it will never come up.

i like to start mine on a fine bed, of VERMICULITE. but i guess regular '' beach'' type sand would work the same way,????

just a thin layer over the top of your potting soil, to elimanate the chance of creating those '' crevaces ''

TarantulaDan

you may want to look into '' how'' you started them seeds, getting a seed to sprout, isnt tricky it's the growing of that sprout that is tricky,,,, dont use too course of a starting mix, because the seeds are very small. and if it falls into a crevace, in the soil, it will never come up.

i like to start mine on a fine bed, of VERMICULITE. but i guess regular '' beach'' type sand would work the same way,????

just a thin layer over the top of your potting soil, to elimanate the chance of creating those '' crevaces ''
Thanks I used peat sand for this one,to start the seeds

Status
Not open for further replies.