Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Green Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Southern Planter

While waiting for for my burly to form buds to top, there was a forecast for a freak early frost. I should have cut and housed the stuff a week or two before. My brother and I cut it and took it to the barn without letting it wilt. The next night or two there was a deep frost.

Some, but not all of it dried green. (Kept the chlorophyll color, not mold.) Some of it yellowed and turned brown, while some stayed green on the same stalk.

My question is, can I trust the brown leaf? Or should I toss the whole kit and caboodle? I Had a lot of gorgeous leaf when it was cut, and it pains me that I would lose the whole lot.

Aaron

I think the stuff that colored will be fine. You may want to just keep an eye on the green stuff. I had some frost damage leaf that eventually turned brown but it did take a lot longer.

BigBonner

Founding Member
If the leaves are a dark watery ,mushy transparent looking They may cure out a little . But if the color is just a green , that was set in by the cold .Cold wind will do that to .

If the leaves are just colored green then let it hang for one year . It should come out and turn the normal brown . Summer sweat is the key .

Southern Planter

Thanks. I planned on letting it age anyway.

I just brought in a few strings of primed leaf hung several weeks before the main crop that cured beautifully. Many were a reddish brown that smelled like a fine cigar, but I just now smoked one in a pipe, and it was quite strong. Needs to age more perhaps. The mud lugs are mild and tasty.

Status
Not open for further replies.