Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Preparing leaves for rolling questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

buck

Hello gents,

I'm preparing to roll my first cigar but having issues determining the proper state of each type of leaf (filler, binder, wrapper). There is talk about moisture levels for filler, binder and wrapper but it is not easy to figure out what the texture should be for each.

Should the filler feel like a paper bag, binder like silk and wrapper damp ? Is that a good description of the proper state for each leaf type before rolling ? is there a % humidity range to store each to have the proper texture before rolling ?

Thanks

jekylnz

You sound like you have the right idea. .filler dry.bind pliable soft. Wrap moist/wet..wrap. will dry pretty quick anyway. .ans you'll get a better finish when they're wet..more stretch. ..byt once you get used to rolling. ..the wrap. Bind doesn't necessarily need to be wet when you want to smoke them straight away. .and don't care about aesthetics

buck

This is my first attempt at rolling a cigar and considering the wrapper tore half way through and I didn't cap it, looks okay. IMG_00000046.jpg

Ben Brand

Buck
Thats a nice looking cigar, my 1st one didn't look like that. Is it a freehand or do you use a mould? Well done. Did you smoke it, and how did it taste?

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I've never rolled a cigar that looked as nice as that one. Great job on pretty, how's it smoke?

buck

I kind of cheated, that was the nice side of the cigar that I took a picture of, behind it there is a tear and some unsightly creases.
I don't have any equipment to roll cigars, no tucker or Chaveta or mold/press etc.. so I wrapped strips of newspaper around it to compress it. Book rolling technique was used and it tool 30 minutes to roll. :)

The shape and density is good and cold draw is snug which is how I like it.
Smells awesome and should be pretty mild since I used mostly Seco leaves and only one full Viso leaf.

Good leaf from Don make it possible.

I haven't smoked it yet, ran out of time and had to head off to bed.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
You really don't need fancy equipment. I have a home made chaveta and a rolling board. I made my chaveta from a cabinet scraper, but I bought a cheap ulu knife to make one for my brother in law. I plan to cut the handle off shorter and epoxy a wood dowel for new handle. The ulu is too tall for a handy chaveta. Here's the ulu I'm starting with: http://www.ebay.com/itm/231076635870?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649 Free Shipping.

jekylnz

Nothing wrong with that alright. .thats putting all everyone elses first attempts to same...yeah you don't need fancy tools..a blade..sharp knife..even sscissors. .steal the mrs rolling pin

But I found a heap of good cigar tools at cake making/baker shops..a chaveta shaped cake tool (for icing I think) and sharpened it..and little dowel rolling pins about 1 1/4 inch by 5 inch long..they even sell gum tragacanth and gum arabic (for icing flowers etc) as well for cigar glue

buck

I used a pizza cutter but it wasn't sharp enough and the cuts didn't come out as they should.
I think a Chaveta type tool is really required, press/mold not really.

Anyway, I'll need to get a good cutting tool or knife before I roll another. The wife won't like me taking hers.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Search the Web for a "Kuhn Rikon Kulu". Get the 6" blade. They sell for $20 or less. I've used one (not held by the handle, but by the opposite riser) for making uncounted thousands of cigars. It's non-stick coated stainless, almost never needs sharpening, and will last for many years. (Be sure to buy a red one, since the green color may make you puke.) Because the kulu allows you to exert considerable force on the blade, it is also perfect for slicing press-cake and role-cake for flake or pipe shred.

KuhnRikon6inchKulu.jpg

The only other tool you need for cigar rolling is a broad cutting board (made of just about anything). You don't need a tuck cutter, a cigar mold or even glue. To roll multiple cigars at the same sitting, then powdered fruit pectin (from any grocery store) can be made into a thick gel for a cigar glue.

Bob

buck

The Kulu looks like it will do the job, for cutting board I was thinking a laminated cupboard door. Pectin for glue is the way to go and what I use.

Status
Not open for further replies.