Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Winston or Camel blend formula needed Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbumgar

Well, I bought a lb of the following burley, flue cured Virginia(lemon), flue cured Virginia(bright leaf), Izmir, and fire cured Virginia. What could I make with these leaves? I bought all this from WLT and was extremely pleased with the service. Got my order in like 2 days!

jbumgar

I'm willing to try other blends you might suggest also. I am open to experimentation.

winston-smoker

There isn't fire-cured in either brand. Adding fire-cured to your blend will give you Dutch-style halfszware.
I would think that some Red Virginia, Brightleaf Virginia, Burley, and Izmir would put you in the ballpark. For a Camel taste, use a higher percentage of Izmir.
The "Lemon" Virginia, I think, in combination with Brightleaf Virginia, would put you in the ballpark of Canadian cigarette brands like Du Maurier.
I don't think it is really possible to exactly copy any specific brand, because each cigarette brand has its own proprietary blend of tobaccos and flavorings. I think it's going to take some experimentation to find a "recipe" that results in something you like. It is conceivable you might just hit upon something you like even better than the "commercial" brands you were smoking.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Try 60% total flue cure, 25-30% Burley, 10-15% Izmir. That will get you in the ballpark of a full flavor cigarette. I can taste two leaves of fire cure in a one pound blend, so go easy on the fire cure. After you've sampled that blend, you can add more flue cure for a smoother, lighter taste, or more Burley for a stronger, higher nicotine taste. Izmir is mild with low nicotine but has great flavor, a little goes a long way.

jekylnz

Thats about how I do mine to..with red flue..but 30% burley l'd want toasted....cough..choke...ya lik'm stroong!
Some of that burley Don sells can be gruntie stuff..Id have about 15-20% untoasted

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Thats about how I do mine to..with red flue..but 30% burley l'd want toasted....cough..choke...ya lik'm stroong!

I'm just recommending a starting point using what he has. lol Talk about strong, my usual blend is 40% Flue cure, 20% Burley, 20% Maryland, 10% Dark Air, 10% Izmir.

jekylnz

Nice dark earthy ones..I know what you mean about the fire cured..you can smell and taste a little bit in a lot. .I tend to reduce my burley percentage when it has m.d..I find it a similar taste & can be overpowering. I.m.o..tho..especially with dark as well. .lol

DrBob

Founding Member
why would you want your smokes to taste like that storebought crap anyhow? Kind of like making home made pizza that tastes like the frozen ones you get in the store. uncle Knuck's ratios will get you in the ballpark only a ton better.

jekylnz

Both threads "Winston camel blends..." & "what effect non-commercial...." are getting so similar in topic..im nearly forgetting which one I'm on..thats enough scotches add cigar blunts..na jokes. .

jbumgar

Thanks you guys! I really appreciate your help for this newbie! At least I have an idea on where to start experimenting. I'm sure sooner or later I will forget about those gag sticks I used to smoke.

Jim
----

leverhead

If you could get reasonable quantities of the junk they put in commercial cigarettes, I don't think you would be so keen to copy it. Shred a working quantity of each type you have. If you have multiple flue-cureds, start by finding a blend of them that tastes good. They'll probably end up being the bulk of your finished blend anyway. Then start adding Turkish until you're happy with what taste that can bring along, to me it's more of an aftertaste. You can add the more robust flavors of Maryland, Dark air-cured and Burley, but go easy with them like the Turkish. If you normally smoke a pack a day, try to stay with that. Too many different cigarettes in a day and your taste will be off. Make small batches, keep good notes and use a small scale, making bigger batches of something you like will easy

Status
Not open for further replies.