Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

What is the grin I see people talking about

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarG

Founding Member
Here is the website, http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npg...o_dtd&client=usda&lr=&proxystylesheet=ARS&oe= This will take you straight to the tobacco seed database, They will send you seeds for research purposes. I got mine to test a few different varietys in my native texas soil and climate to see which varietys would thrive the best, They won't be planted till next year in 2012. Read there home page and it will explain there purpose.

Livewithkindness

What kind of paper do they need really in depth or just something basic do they have a limit on how many you "research" . Is this a good way to get seeds ?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Most of the seed varieties that you may be interested in are presently in the FTT seed bank, or will be there shortly.

Bob

Livewithkindness

I can only get 100 seeds of 1 type they changed the rules I guess a couple hours after I signed up. I was just hopeing like I said that's ok if you can't . Thanks anyway John

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
The rules haven't changed for several months...they might be a little more easy to see now.

The rule has always been 100 free seeds (of one variety) just for registering as a member. The rule has always been "After 25 substantive posts, you can get another 100 seeds every year for free. Any member with 100 posts can request 100 seeds of four varieties free of charge" (every year).

If a regular contributing member wants 100 of every variety in the seed bank, I'd probably oblige.

I do get a lot of people who think any and all seeds are available at no cost just for joining.

indianjoe

Founding Member
I think John was referencing GRIN. I can only imagine FM's inbox with seed requests, lol.

Livewithkindness

Thank you so much for allowing me 4 choices you have no idea what a difference that will make for me and hopefully if all grows well what I'll be adding back to the bank after next growing season and every one after that . Again thank you so much ! John

Tom_in_TN

Well maybe with all those seeds he germinated and planted too much...made a huge grow....now he can't catch a break to come back and post about his success.

Well, anything is possible, just tryin' to look on the bright side.

Steve2md

but I'm thinking that with only 27 posts total over nearly a year, maybe the project/hobby didn't pan out for him

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
If I were run a poll to see who is posting or at least visiting regularly, we'd see the free seed offer didn't do anything to increase participation. I also think we'd be shocked to know how few seeds were actually grown.

I know this is off topic, but this is a dead thread.

Steve2md

If I were run a poll to see who is posting or at least visiting regularly, we'd see the free seed offer didn't do anything to increase participation. I also think we'd be shocked to know how few seeds were actually grown.
Honestly, I stumbled on this forum/site by lucky chance. I was following one of chicken's grows on a different site and he referenced ftt. I came and checked it out and was hooked. The free seeds were cool, but I was so new at all of this that I murdered my poor little seedlings on my first try. I honestly think we should encourage those new to this hobby to start their first grow from plants, and leave the seeds until they have more experience. If there are still sources for seedlings, that is

Knucklehead

Founding Member
That's a point worth investigating. My first grow coming up. Where could I obtain Virginia and Burley seedlings and how much are they? That would be one less thing to have to try and get set up for my first year. Spread some of my work out over the first couple seasons.

Boboro

Grow'in plants from seed under lites can be hard if you never done it. but you live in Ala. and you can start them outside when it gets warm.

Status
Not open for further replies.