Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Threshed (Stripped) Virginia Brightleaf

Status
Not open for further replies.

bill3002

I recently received a sample of threshed (stripped) Virginia Brightleaf. Here is what I thought of the sample:

The color was much darker than the store`s wholeleaf brightleaf ( sorry...forgot to take a pic).

Though pieces of the stripped were smaller than I thought they would be ( for some reason I figured that each
leaf would result in 2 or 3 pieces ), I had no trouble shredding with the powermatic s and injecting cigarette tubes.

The taste is much closer to the red leaf than brightleaf. It`s a smooth smoke that works for me as a stand alone.

I tested it as a stand alone, blended with turkish izmir ( 25%...my personal favorite ), and with general / citrus casings.

Below is the order of my preferences from the very best to the best.

VTG

VTC

VT

VG

VC

V

When I switched from processed to wholeleaf tobacco, there were two major problems...shredding and removing the main stem.

The powermatic s takes care of the frustrating shredding problem.

Stripped leaf takes care of the labor/ time main stem problem.

My daily smoke will be VTG.

Note: I heard that federal law requires a minimum purchase... I leave that explaination to Don.

BigBonner

Founding Member
The threshed tobacco can not be sold as whole leaf because the mid rib has been removed . It would have to be taxed and permits would be required to sell it , no matter the amount .

There is no minimum amount on whole leaf that I know of .

bill3002

The threshed tobacco can not be sold as whole leaf because the mid rib has been removed . It would have to be taxed and permits would be required to sell it , no matter the amount .

There is no minimum amount on whole leaf that I know of .

What little info a know about stripped I got from Don.

I`ll wait for him to come here and address this type of tobacco.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Threshed /Stripped tobacco can be sold in amounts greater than 10 lbs. without being regarded as a tobacco product. If threshed tobacco is sold in amounts under 10 lbs, a federal permit is required and the tax for what the tobacco is being sold as must be paid.

I got that straight from the TTB tax expert Beckwith (sp?)

winston-smoker

Threshed /Stripped tobacco can be sold in amounts greater than 10 lbs. without being regarded as a tobacco product. If threshed tobacco is sold in amounts under 10 lbs, a federal permit is required and the tax for what the tobacco is being sold as must be paid.

I got that straight from the TTB tax expert Beckwith (sp?)

I believe that's why Fresh Choice used to sell their tobacco, in which the midrib stem is removed, in 10.1 lb. bags. Now it's 12.5 lb. bags. Their preshredded "pipe-cut" tobacco includes federal and state excise taxes in the price, and that is stated on the bill of sale.

holyRYO

See Don is now offering Threshed Virginia, great idea! Love the price, major labor saver and cheaper as well. :):):):)

Knucklehead

Founding Member
See Don is now offering Threshed Virginia, great idea! Love the price, major labor saver and cheaper as well. :):):):)

Not only cheaper per pound, but you're buying all leaf and not paying for the midrib so it's an even better deal than it looks. Plus the labor savings you pointed out. I also like that it tastes like a mix of Bright leaf and Red leaf.

winston-smoker

You have just really gotten my attention! I suppose it's sold in 10 lb. bags? I'll have to take a look at Don's website. I won't be buying anything soon, as right now I have about 10 lbs. of tobacco on hand, but perhaps by the time I'm ready to buy more tobacco, some of you guys might have tried it.

Okay, I just looked -- 5 kilos (11+ lbs.). "Tastes like a mix of Brightleaf and Red" Virginias ... sounds like a winning combination! Good price too (approx. $12.70 per lb.)! I wonder how similar it is to Fresh Choice's Natural Virginia Blend (Green Ribbon)? Coincidentally, a few minutes ago I had just sent an e-mail to Fresh Choice with a few questions, one of which was for a description of their Natural Virginia Blend (12.5 lb. bag sells for $175 with free shipping, so that's $14 per lb.).

winston-smoker

So do you think we could import it or would be still classed as processed baccy?

Don's Threshed Virginia page says "available to U.S. residents only." Below that is an advisory to international customers and a long list of "cannot ship to" countries. New Zealand is on the list.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
The biggest problem with shipping this product internationally is trying to educate the customs agents all over again. This won't be cheap to ship and I can't afford to ship it twice.

If anyone wants it, I'll ship it, but if I were you, I'd get pre-approved clearance from your border agents.

jojjas

The biggest problem with shipping this product internationally is trying to educate the customs agents all over again. This won't be cheap to ship and I can't afford to ship it twice.

If anyone wants it, I'll ship it, but if I were you, I'd get pre-approved clearance from your border agents.

I just start to check this out with swedish customs , i got an idea that it could classified as snus raw material , it maybe classified as "Harmonized Tariff Code nr: 2401.30.00.00" , but i have to check this out with customs first

Status
Not open for further replies.