Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

powermatic shredder problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

winston-smoker

I need to get one to keep from having to buy the canned air. It would pay for itself after awhile. Thanks for posting it.

Another advantage is it's just air, and the stream of air isn't so forceful as to damage anything. Some cans of compressed air, I noticed, have flammable chemicals used as propellants.

Another useful cleaning tool is a cosmetics brush, the kind that women use to apply blush.

BTQ36_BeauTique_Powder_Brush_SB.jpg

BarG

Founding Member
I've had mine about a year or a little longer. It was the second model that had the cooling fan added.

One way to add life to your shredder is to derib and shred in one operation. It is just as fast or faster than deribbing and shredding in two operations. Most guys do all their deribbing first and then feed the machine as hard and fast as they can go, with very little break for the machine until they're done shredding everything they've deribbed. This works the machine pretty hard, especially if you're feeding alot of leaf fast.

I sit at the shredder with a bag of whole leaf in my lap and a trash can next to me. I derib a leaf and feed it into the machine. While it's shredding, I am deribbing the next leaf. The first leaf usually finishes before I can derib the next leaf and the machine shuts off. Then I feed the next leaf. I'm feeding one leaf at a time, but since I'm deribbing at the same time, I'm shredding in about the same amount of time that it takes most people to derib only.This way the machine is lightly used and gets a short break between leaves. I truly believe that this has to add life to the machine and is just as fast.

The machine handles continuous use for a couple lbs of deribbed use at a time with no problem[thats all I ever do at once] . As with any tool do not abuse. A couple pounds of deribbed is about 4 cartons of smokes depending on varietys give or take. I spend more time deribbing than shredding, thats for sure.

BarG

Founding Member
I recently experienced a motor overheat issue with an older Powermatic shredder. The problem was a loose screw on a gear causing binding and subsequent overheating of the motor. The gear was damaged and needed to be replaced. Powermatic would not warrantee the repair due to the age being 18 months and no warranty registration card was sent in. The part was $20.00 + $5.00 postage.
This problem occurred on other shredders earlier and the screws were checked about a year ago and was fine at that time. I guess that it should have been checked again and this problem would have been avoided.

This issue was brought up by brownthumb at the git go and a lot of peeps sent off for the gear packages. I took mine apart and checked and tightened the screws with out the lock tight and still have no problems. I lost my reciept and never sent warranty card. One thing I notice on mine is the sensor that kicks the shredderon is very sensite on initial start up. When you feed the first leaf it helps to slide leaf in without contacting knives till shredder kicks in.

Brown Thumb

I took my sensors & wires out from the get go also. If I recall Correctly Dons
machine ate his sensor up after it fell off.

BarG

Founding Member
Yeah, problems were recognized and able to be dealt with. By far a great addition for me as a grower for my self. The savings far outweigh the investment. Mine still has everything original. The issue with feed took me a while to figure out, I would have to turn off or reverse to continue shredding. the sensor is just that, a sensor.

Status
Not open for further replies.