Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Chaveta Before Breakfast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I made a chaveta this morning for my brother in law. I used an ulu knife to make it from. I bought the ulu here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/231076635870?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649 The price includes free shipping.

Ulu.JPG

I cut the tall handle off with a die grinder and cut off wheel, but you can use a hack saw.

After Cut.JPG

I cut a slot in a dowel rod with a hand saw for a new handle.

Slot Cut.JPG

I used two part epoxy to attach the new handle.

Epoxy Blade.JPG

I then slimmed the handle and reshaped it with a rasp and bastard file, then sanded. This shows the difference. The shorter chaveta is much easier to handle for it's intended purpose.

Before and After.JPG

I spent maybe 45 min. not counting epoxy dry time. Now it's time to eat some breakfast.

istanbulin

Founding Member
Nice job ! The chaveta is really looking good. You find a more practical way to make one. The ulu knife is resembling Italian mezzaluna knife and also our börek knife (used for slicing börek - a type of pastry). May be I can make a chaveta and make my pizza slicer retired.

xYv6lj.jpg

Mezzaluna knife.

eoAVZq.jpg

Börek knife

MarcL

Thank you.

Yeah, my Ulu is used to chop Don's Izmir. I like it because it has a 1 sided edge which works well because I like to press small bunches with my fingers while slicing it.
but, I always felt a lower stance would be helpful in stability. So I'm looking forward to following your lead soon.

buck

Nice job on the modification. Just wondering why you didn't use the original handle instead of creating one from a dowel rod ?

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Nice job on the modification. Just wondering why you didn't use the original handle instead of creating one from a dowel rod ?

The original handle has steel blind rivets holding it to the blade. It would take longer to drill them out than to slot a dowel.

ne3go

Nice work Knucks! Is epoxy strong enough? Maybe drill a couple of screws through the dowel and blade.
How many Alaska knives did you buy???

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Nice work Knucks! Is epoxy strong enough? Maybe drill a couple of screws through the dowel and blade.
How many Alaska knives did you buy???

The epoxy will be plenty strong enough even if you use the handle. I pretty much reach over the handle and grasp the blade on both sides. I had to make a handle due to the shape of the blade where I made the cut. Cutting it off left two "posts" of metal sticking up and the handle makes it more comfortable. The tape is hiding the "posts" in the second picture, but they are just like the ones left on the original handle, only shorter.

I bought two ulus. One for my wife to use in the kitchen, and one to make a chaveta for my brother in law.

Nikfits

I don't know what the price was when you got it? But I just checked the link and it's on sale right now, still shows free shipping. Just wanted to mention it. It's at $8.99 for the next 8 hours.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231076635870?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I agree, looks nice Knucks. I've used epoxy a few times on my glasses and it held for a long time with a small amount applied. I don't wear them anymore - went with contacts. Epoxy does hold well.

Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.