Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

descrip tobacco plant (germplasm)

Status
Not open for further replies.

khoaibong2422

Hi. Iam new member! I start my work about tobacco germplast. May you give some information about thias worrk? Thanks alot

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Welcome to the forum. Where are you from? If you'll put a general location in your profile we can better answer any questions you may have that will be location or weather dependent.

There are some very knowledgeable people here that can help you with your research. You will need to be more specific with your question.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Click on "FAQ" at the top of the page for basic growing information. If you have questions about specific tobacco varieties, just ask.

Bob

Knucklehead

Founding Member
This is a good tobacco research site. Here's are over 2000 accessions held by the USDA GRIN, listed by country. There are two accessions from Viet Nam: http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/html/tax_stat.pl

Click on a country, click on a name or PI number. This will take you to an information page of that variety. You can click on a picture if it has one to see a bigger picture. Click on the "Observations" link to see the classification, plant and leaf sizes, nicotine, nornicotine content, etc. A lot of valuable information. Click on the PDF link for more information.

This link has the same accessions, but is divided up into classes, such as Burley, Flue Cure, Oriental, Rustica, etc. http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/html/desc.pl?81001

This link shows every accession held: http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/html/tax_acc.pl Just follow the links and play with the site, you will eventually get a feel for how it is laid out. Good luck with your studies. We're here if you have any questions.

khoaibong2422

This is a good tobacco research site. Here's are over 2000 accessions held by the USDA GRIN, listed by country. There are two accessions from Viet Nam: http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/html/tax_stat.pl

Click on a country, click on a name or PI number. This will take you to an information page of that variety. You can click on a picture if it has one to see a bigger picture. Click on the "Observations" link to see the classification, plant and leaf sizes, nicotine, nornicotine content, etc. A lot of valuable information. Click on the PDF link for more information.

This link has the same accessions, but is divided up into classes, such as Burley, Flue Cure, Oriental, Rustica, etc. http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/html/desc.pl?81001

This link shows every accession held: http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/html/tax_acc.pl Just follow the links and play with the site, you will eventually get a feel for how it is laid out. Good luck with your studies. We're here if you have any questions.
I had see link you gave me. Thanks alot with base information. However, can you tell me the method description a accession?

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Chemical composition descriptors shows the chemical makeup of the plant. If you hover your mouse pointer over each descriptor, it will tell you which chemical is being described.

Morphological descriptors
defines the plants shape, flower color and other identification values. Again, hover your mouse pointer over the descriptor and it will show what is being described.

Growth descriptors are average measurements of the plant, in centimeters. Hover your mouse pointer over the descriptor and it will tell you which part of the plant the measurements are for, example plant height of topped plant.

Phenological descriptors is Days to Maturity from transplant to 50% of the plants showing one flower. This number just gives you a general idea of Days to Maturity as this is influenced by location, soil, fertilizer, water availability year by year, etc. It's best use is for growers with short growing seasons to determine if the variety might have time to mature in really short growing seasons. Parts of Canada for example. Lakota from Canada has a 90 day growing season.

Production descriptors
shows the classifications such as Burley, Flue Cured, Cigar Wrapper, Cigar Filler, etc. Those were commercial designations given to the accessions by GRIN based on use at the time. "Class" for Classification, sometimes they spell it out, sometimes there is a code, BU=Burley, FC=Flue Cured, PR=Primitive, RU=Rustica, CF=Cigar Filler, CB=Cigar Binder, CW=Cigar Wrapper. The cigar classification especially are just the most common use for the variety. All varieties commonly used for cigars can be used for filler, binder or wrapper, with the condition of the leaf being the deciding factor. A perfect leaf will make a good wrapper. Some varieties are just better suited to wrapper production due to the taste on the mouth, as the wrapper is the only leaf that actually makes contact with the user.
"Yield" is average cured leaf weight per plant, measured in grams.

khoaibong2422

Chemical composition descriptors shows the chemical makeup of the plant. If you hover your mouse pointer over each descriptor, it will tell you which chemical is being described.

Morphological descriptors
defines the plants shape, flower color and other identification values. Again, hover your mouse pointer over the descriptor and it will show what is being described.

Growth descriptors are average measurements of the plant, in centimeters. Hover your mouse pointer over the descriptor and it will tell you which part of the plant the measurements are for, example plant height of topped plant.

Phenological descriptors is Days to Maturity from transplant to 50% of the plants showing one flower. This number just gives you a general idea of Days to Maturity as this is influenced by location, soil, fertilizer, water availability year by year, etc. It's best use is for growers with short growing seasons to determine if the variety might have time to mature in really short growing seasons. Parts of Canada for example. Lakota from Canada has a 90 day growing season.

Production descriptors
shows the classifications such as Burley, Flue Cured, Cigar Wrapper, Cigar Filler, etc. Those were commercial designations given to the accessions by GRIN based on use at the time. "Class" for Classification, sometimes they spell it out, sometimes there is a code, BU=Burley, FC=Flue Cured, PR=Primitive, RU=Rustica, CF=Cigar Filler, CB=Cigar Binder, CW=Cigar Wrapper. The cigar classification especially are just the most common use for the variety. All varieties commonly used for cigars can be used for filler, binder or wrapper, with the condition of the leaf being the deciding factor. A perfect leaf will make a good wrapper. Some varieties are just better suited to wrapper production due to the taste on the mouth, as the wrapper is the only leaf that actually makes contact with the user.
"Yield" is average cured leaf weight per plant, measured in grams.
now, my station begin to trasplant in the field. And I will descript them (about 40 accesions) at about 45-60 DAP, so if you have standard officiall to descript a accesstions?

khoaibong2422

thanks Mr knucks so much. This is link I need to use. I will sent you my emai and please sent me other information. Best regrad!

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Email sent. I hope you find the info useful. Jessica (USNicotianaGermplasmCollection) provided the link and Bob (deluxestogie) furnished the Excel worksheet. Team work at it's finest. :)

khoaibong2422

We have about 200 accestion tobacco, and my main work are maintain them invitrro, gene bank, descrips, refresh seed when their germination is lowew below 65%.... The chemical of leaves are sent to lab in the end of the season.

khoaibong2422

because I am a new about this work (I am a plant protection engeneer beforce), so I have to looking for experience of you. The information about Tobacco is not easy to find than other plant. I think Jessica do the same my work. I will need to collect new accescions from all you, but please tell me how can I do it?

Status
Not open for further replies.