Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Seed count

Status
Not open for further replies.

Livewithkindness

Can someone tell me how do they measure seeds I know someone count each one out ? For 100 seeds and for 1000 seeds what us the measure a teaspoon a half just wondering .

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
A tenth of a gram (0.1 grams) contains 700 to 1000 tobacco seeds. One-twentieth (1/20) teaspoon is a few hundred seeds. Killebrew (1898) says each seed pod contains about 5000 seeds. My experience is that the number of seeds per pod varies significantly with the variety.

Bob

lucia_a91

Seed counter

Hi, perhaps you already know counting machines that do this job with much more accuracy. See for example any of these seed counters.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Hi there, lucia_a91. Welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately, the seed of Nicotiana tabacum is only 500 microns across, so it's too small for any of the data-technologies machines to detect. (Their lower limit ranges from 0.7mm to 1.0mm, depending on the model.)

Are you interested in growing?

Bob

lucia_a91

Hi Bob, thank you for your answer.
I am interested in this article and just checking this market niche. In addition I know Data Technologies so I thought that their type of equipment can help.
What do you think about it? I am just researching and seems interesting.

Daniel

Banned
You might want to sell seed by weight with the information that 0.1 gram contains between 700 and 1000 seeds. Most people want to know how many seeds they are getting but tobacco seed is so small that it is pretty hard to count them.

wazzappenning

i read on seedgnome that seeds can be frozen. just wanted to make sure this is right before i do it to my leftovers. i dont wanna wreck my chances for next year.

LeftyRighty

Founding Member
yes, they can be frozen, but need to be kept 'dry'. They should be in a waterproof container - mason jar, double/triple ziplok bags/container, etc. If not kept in a frost proof container, they will get wet/frosted during the freezer's defrost cycle and ruined. I keep mine in double ziploc bags in a mason jar in the bottom of the refrigerator, about 40 degrees, and have no problems.

Daniel

Banned
seed can be frozen but I have usually heard that in relation to germination issues. some seed needs to freeze before it will ever grow. some say freezing it for a few days to a couple of weeks improves all seed germination. Otherwise I have always heard it is best to store seed in a cool dry place without sunlight. I keep mine in a jar on my dresser in light protective packets.

Status
Not open for further replies.