Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Damn. Damn and damn again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben Brand

Tha hail and wind got me again. Not as bad as last season but not good. Lost plants,, wind just flattened them, snapped them claen off. Most of my plants I've put bags on for seed catching blew over, top heavy I suppose. I just hang the ones that broke in my garage.

darren1979

First Time Grower
I'm sorry to here that, mother nature can be a cruel mistress. when she wants to be.I suppose you have to go into damage limitations mode.
How much was damaged?

Brown Thumb

I know the feeling about the wind all to well. No hail tho.
I hope most is salvageable, I have too many hours staking up plants in the past that got blown over. Not a fun job.
Good Luck on the rest of the season.
BT

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I always stake and tie the plants that I bag for the very reason you just noted, the bagged plants get top heavy and snap off.

Ben Brand

It looks a little bit better this morning. Just enough damage to piss me off. Luckely the wrappers was under netting, the side the wind was blowing from took a bit of a beating. Will have to cut and hang a few plants.

Ben Brand

One of my friends, commercial tobacco farme lost 2 circles 70 ha of flu cured tobacco. One he must ut to let it regrow, the other was topped allready, so.he lost that one. Suppose I can't complain.

bonehead

a couple or three years ago i got wipedout by hail. the only thing that saved me was that i planted mostly cigarette tobacco. at the end of the season the harvest was not the prettiest but it still smoked ok. don't give up yet. good luck.

Dean

Keep your head up. I fight with tree branches constantly. Possums, they are the worst, think your baccy is a tree and try to climb it, flattening it as they go. Small sticks falling and punching holes in the leaves is the least of my worries.

cheers

bonehead

Keep your head up. I fight with tree branches constantly. Possums, they are the worst, think your baccy is a tree and try to climb it, flattening it as they go. Small sticks falling and punching holes in the leaves is the least of my worries.

cheers
possums and tobacco, i think raccons and corn. you can take a little but don't distroy it all.

Southern Planter

When I was a moocow herding cowboy in the west, we farmed the driest, windiest place in the US. We planted rows of a wonderful tree called Tamarisk. It grows fast and dense, requires very little water, and is one of the best wind breaks in the world. It is also the source of the Biblical food manna. (From it's sap.)

Nowadays, sadly, there are herds of tofu snorting pinko commie meadow muffin eaters who are trying to eradicate the tree. It gives me a warm fuzzy feeling knowing that I planted 20,000 Tamarisk trees in my youth.

They wont stop the hail, but they will cut the wind.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I don't snort tofu, and I'm not inclined toward communism. However, tamarisk is native to Israel and parts of Africa. In the US, it damages an already dry habitat in the desert Southwest.

Wikipedia: Tamarix said:
Tamarix ramosissima has naturalized and become a major invasive plant species in parts of the world, such as in the Southwestern United States and Desert Region of California, consuming large amounts of groundwater in riparian and oases habitats due to the density of its stands.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamarix
Bob

Knucklehead

Founding Member
And so you would deny an African from planting a fine windbreak?

The tree is native to Africa. The same as Kudzu was native to Japan. But it's a whole different animal over here. (pardon my butting in) I hate Kudzu. I'm the only person I know that can outstubborn kudzu enough to kill it. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.