Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Pics of your sticks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CobGuy

Sorry for the not-so-great photo but here's five rolled up for the weekend:
(Mata Fina Ligero, Corojo Ligero, Besuki double binder)

V3HEZZc.png

ciennepi

This are five cigars rolled today. I'm coming quicker and I'm able to avoid the biggest mistakes. Its a slow but steady learning curve. The finish are still on the rough side. They have 50 RG and are from 3 1/2" to 4 1/2" (petit robusto?).
Wrapper Nostrano volado, binder Nostrano seco, filler Nostrano volado an Vuelta Abajo ligero.
20190226_142943~2.jpg

waikikigun

This are five cigars rolled today. I'm coming quicker and I'm able to avoid the biggest mistakes. Its a slow but steady learning curve. The finish are still on the rough side. They have 50 RG and are from 3 1/2" to 4 1/2" (petit robusto?).
Wrapper Nostrano volado, binder Nostrano seco, filler Nostrano volado an Vuelta Abajo ligero.
View attachment 26977
Nice job, ciennepi. But I'm pretty sure everyone who reads your post is going to think, "Yeah, but coming quicker is the biggest mistake."

ciennepi

Yours cigar are often silk smooth. Mine are more rough even if I use a mold before to apply the wrapper. I remember that the cigars of the padt year, with a Vuelta Abajo wrapper are a lot smoother. May be the Nostrano del Brenta leafs are not so suitable as wrappers because their bump and big veins? Someone have made cigars with Nostrano wrappers and can confirm this?

GreenDragon

There are much better rollers on the forum than I am, but in my opinion I see two possible issues:
1) Your wrapper leaf appears to be rather thick (judging on the angle of the picture, so I may be wrong). This batch may serve you better as a binder.
2) I can see veins from filler/binder leaf telegraphing through the wrapper. You might need to do a little extra rolling of the plug before applying the binder to smooth it out more. Also, you may try to bring you filler to a slightly higher case to help soften any hard veins.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
May be the Nostrano del Brenta leafs are not so suitable as wrappers because their bump and big veins?
Nostrano is a wonderful wrapper. It is also a thick leaf--always. I would not be at all concerned about the thick veins. That's just how Nostrano is. Like CT Broadleaf, it does require a somewhat longer time to rehydrate fully, but it does not have quite as much stretch. So you will have to be gentle. Rehydrate the Nostrano until it can be stretched enough to straighten its veins. With a trimmed outer edge, trim the inner edge of the wrapper strip to a width of 10 cm (~2"). Maintain a gentle stretch as you roll.

Filler should be in low case. It's about the draw, not the appearance.

If you want shiny, factory-looking cigars, then use a different wrapper. If you want delicious, Nostrano-wrapped cigars, then you are on the right path.

Bob

GreenDragon

Thank you for clarifying Bob :) I am not familiar with this variety, but it sure looks like it would make a tasty and "chewy" cigar!

ciennepi

Thanks for your thoughts. For me the most important thing is roll a good cigar. If it is also nice that's better. The looks of my cigars like me, they resemble the finish of toscano. The taste and aroma of Nostrano is wonderful but I can confirm that it can be stretched less than other leafs. At the end the destiny of all the cigar is to trasform in ash.;)

waikikigun

Thanks for your thoughts. For me the most important thing is roll a good cigar. If it is also nice that's better. The looks of my cigars like me, they resemble the finish of toscano. The taste and aroma of Nostrano is wonderful but I can confirm that it can be stretched less than other leafs. At the end the destiny of all the cigar is to trasform in ash.;)
That is the destiny of everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.