Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Pics of your sticks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcracer5

Bob once again sent me down a rabbit hole. I decided to roll an “American” style cigar this afternoon based on the above info and leaf on hand. This is a mix of home grown and Big Bonner leaf:

Fl Sumatra, Glessner, Lancaster (Filler and wrapper), Burley, Little Dutch, and Maryland (binder).

I’ve used all these before, but always blended with “Cuban” varieties. I was very pleasantly surprised at the result. I’d classify the flavor as mild, with top notes of jasmine and caramel. The nic content was definitely medium/full due to my leaf selection. Will be adding this to my regular rotation.

View attachment 28178
Mise en place

View attachment 28175
No de-stemming. Curly leaves wrapped inside flats entubano style.

View attachment 28179
Binder

View attachment 28176
Quick dry in the sun before lighting. (I had to splice both halves of a leaf together for the wrapper. I wasn’t paying attention and put one half veins up by mistake! LOL)

View attachment 28177
Enjoyment whilst birdwatching.
Nice, looks yummy

waikikigun

Last night's work out to dry. Corojo wrappers except sumatra second from left, which for some reason looks like candela in the pic.

Nos. 29-34View attachment 28207
That reason being color balance. It only takes a few % shift of your magenta-green channel toward green to go from Sumatra to candela. Might be fun to learn how to tweak that in-camera before the next one.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
That's helpful. So there's really no need to get different color wrappers.

Garden20190603_4409_cigar_MessedUpColorBalance_700.jpg

How did I do?

Bob

Rectifier

So I practiced rolling up quite a few petit Coronas to get a feel for producing a consistent cigar - now I feel like it's time to experiment with increasing my ring gauge. Today's rolling endeavor, the quest for the Gordito! 4x60 nub style.

- First I took enough tobacco for a petit Corona and stuffed it in a shorter cigar. The results failed to impress.
- Then I added 50% more tobacco which really failed to impress considering the minimal size increase
- So I grabbed a big old pile of tobacco and decided to see what would happen. 1.5 big leaves of Dominican seco and 1.5 small ligero leaves, almost 3 times what goes into the petit Coronas. That's what I was looking for so I rolled another. Can't wait for these to dry and give them a try!

Obviously these are not super economical to roll with all that tobacco in there so they had better put out some great flavour. Now I see why you pay as much for a Nub as for a "full size" smaller ring gauge cigar, the filler volume grows exponentially with the diameter.
IMG_20190902_171540.jpg

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Your rolling looks good.

The volume of a cylinder (how much tobacco you have to stuff in there)

V = pi x radius squared x height. (Can't do even a simple equation with this crappy BB code. Sorry.)

That is, the quantity of tobacco increases by the square of the radius, even with the same cigar length. So it goes up fast. On the other hand, the smoke produced also increases by the square of the radius, since that represents the cross-section that is burning.

For many of my large, fat cigars, the filler alone may be 3 or 4 large leaves.

Bob

Scotty

It’s been a loooong time, but I got a chance to roll a couple of ugly sticks today. Both free hand obviously and they’re the same tobaccos. The one on the left is entubado and the right is kinda accordion. I usually tear the stem out of the filler leaves, but this time I left them whole for the entubado bunched cigar and it seams to be a lot better than if I did tear the stem out. I don’t know how to explain what I mean, but it did bunch and bind easier than any I ever rolled. This is the oscuro y Rico blend from WLT. Can’t wait to burn one. A3A9EDD4-2E4D-4B7E-85C4-33A0F330F7C5.jpeg

tullius

That's actually an idea to combat plain packaging laws. Actually start using designs directly on the wrapper leaf. I'm envisioning either laser etching or food colour dots similar to pipe stem symbols.

The big boys also already did that too, a long time ago. The Miller, Dubrul & Peters Mfg. Co. produced a cigar branding machine that according to them could brand an average of 40,000 (!) cigars a day. I stole this from MarcL: he posted what looks like all or part of one of MDP's old catalogues. Great find.

MarcL

GreenDragon

Status
Not open for further replies.