Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Pics of your sticks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tullius

Whole bunch of hats in that pic are bass ackwards if you look close. Either a thing then, or they didn't know. Most probably the former.

Jb00

My wife I and just had a rolling competition. The two on the bottom are hers and the two on top are mine. I can’t wait to get a mold to make some pretty cigars.

Attachments

• FFE338D9-99B4-42AA-98FA-FDEFB39E44A2.jpeg
    FFE338D9-99B4-42AA-98FA-FDEFB39E44A2.jpeg
    533.9 KB · Views: 28

waikikigun

I love the reader's cap-toe, high-top shoes, and the beautiful, free-hand-rolled cigars. Look at how consistent the individual cigars are in that half-wheel at desk 179.

I think I may be in that photo, though I don't really remember a photographer being there:

lector_andBob_100.jpg

Bob
Curious how you know these are freehand. Does it say so in the text? These dudes look Edwardian period, by which molds had long been standard in factories AFAIK.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Curious how you know these are freehand.
I assume the cigars are free-hand. I'm just going by what appears in the photo. There is perhaps the top corner of a mold visible on desk 178, but the backboard seems too shallow to allow space for a mold there. Otherwise I see none. It looks to be a pretty crowded space for molds on the floor.

Bob

waikikigun

I assume the cigars are free-hand. I'm just going by what appears in the photo. There is perhaps the top corner of a mold visible on desk 178, but the backboard seems too shallow to allow space for a mold there. Otherwise I see none. It looks to be a pretty crowded space for molds on the floor.

Bob
Thanks. I think they could easily be out of the picture, but have no idea.

tullius

I think I'm with Bob on this one: the sticks in the pic aren't consistent enough not to be free hands. @waikikigun is right on the era though, and we don't know exactly what is captured here.

tullius

result: excellent draw, excellent burn, spicy full medium dulce de leche light, spanish cedar and chinese five spice mid, not quite to the finish yet. great smoke. we're watching old james bond movies, now on The Spy Who Loved Me, 1977

IMG_20200111_062620465.jpg

waikikigun

I think I'm with Bob on this one: the sticks in the pic aren't consistent enough not to be free hands. @waikikigun is right on the era though, and we don't know exactly what is captured here.
Not trying to beat a dead horse, but I routinely see bunches of torpedos that are less even than these perfectos; and if I guess ~1906-ish for the pic, that's about 35 years into the mold era in Cuban and American cigar factories.

PressuredLeaf

With as wonderful sunny 65f degree day, I decided to smoke two cigars. The blends were:
1 Cibao seco
1 cibao criollo ligero
1 cibao corojo viso
Habano 2k wrapper

The only difference is one had a Dominican binder, while the other had a wlt sumatra binder.

Results: Both started off very light with a creamy cedary smoke (what I associate with most good Dominican cigars). Intensity progressed with with a build in pepper towards the end of the stick. The Sumatra stick seemed a little sweeter and was my favorite. Both excellent cigars for sure.

Also, rolling with dry filler makes for a much better drawing smoke.IMG_3401.jpgIMG_3402.jpgIMG_3403.jpg

Mathaious12

No. 12 & 13 rolled focusing on getting the draw tighter. Also tried out a real wrapper on No. 13, it was a Nicaraguan Criollo 98. It was way better to work with than the seco.

@GreenDragon thanks for the info about where to focus the pressure, worked like a charm. The draw on these two were much better, when I tested the draw before putting the wrapper on.

Hopefully I'll have the time to give them a proper test later this week.

20200112_190753.jpg20200112_190823.jpg

Mathaious12

No. 11 revisited. This is olor ligero wrapper with a double olor seco binder, the filler is 3 olor seco and 1 olor ligero.

This one burned way better than the last ligero wrapped one I rolled, but still had a few issues. I think it's the double binder causing the problem on this one. I let it "dry box" out in the open for 5 days then in the humidor for another 5 days. The rh in the house is around 49%, so I don't think it being to wet still was the issue.

As far as the smoking experience goes, one of the best tasting cigars I have had in a while. I'm sure the fact that I rolled it doesn't play into that at all.

20200113_175037.jpg20200113_180843.jpg20200113_182330.jpg

waikikigun

No. 11 revisited. This is olor ligero wrapper with a double olor seco binder, the filler is 3 olor seco and 1 olor ligero.

This one burned way better than the last ligero wrapped one I rolled, but still had a few issues. I think it's the double binder causing the problem on this one. I let it "dry box" out in the open for 5 days then in the humidor for another 5 days. The rh in the house is around 49%, so I don't think it being to wet still was the issue.

As far as the smoking experience goes, one of the best tasting cigars I have had in a while. I'm sure the fact that I rolled it doesn't play into that at all.

View attachment 29410View attachment 29411View attachment 29412
That all-olor blend is something I recommend to people who tell me they want to order some leaf from LO, just as I recommend all-Corojo to those who say they want to buy from WLT. Did you get that blend idea from me/blisscigar?

Status
Not open for further replies.