Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Pics of your sticks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarcL

Bob's Corona Obesa

Garden20170613_2715_cigar_coronaObesa_600.jpg

Your first question may be, "Why?"

In a moment of both laziness and haste, I reached into my gallon Ziplock bag filled with long cigar scraps, grabbed a fistful, tore the wad of scrap to a modest length, then wrapped it (no binder) in a scrap of Habano 2000--the arc trimmed from the heavy-veined, back edge of a wrapper. No book. No entubado. No nothing. Just a wad of scrap oriented in the same direction.

There you have it. No brain cells were disturbed in the planning of this cigar.

The surprise is that it lit easily, burns well and draws beautifully. The random blend is balanced and enjoyable.

You have to admit that it's a fun thing to look at.

Bob

I have always been inspired to do this. I thought I would carve a mold for it but, you pushed me over the edge. freehand it is.

IMG_0154_zps4ikfimeb.jpg%7Eoriginal

hashtag challenging

Leftynick

I have always been inspired to do this. I thought I would carve a mold for it but, you pushed me over the edge. freehand it is.

hashtag challenging

Very nice figurado. Thanks for showing this. The one in the box still wet right? It look darker with less sheen.

MarcL

Very nice figurado. Thanks for showing this. The one in the box still wet right? It look darker with less sheen.

The one in the box is a Drew Estate, the other one I made in it's image. Your right, without a flash, it does look darker with less sheen.

Leftynick

The one in the box is a Drew Estate, the other one I made in it's image. Your right, without a flash, it does look darker with less sheen.

Sorry. I thought it was still drying as you once said you dry your newly wrapped stick with scrap tobacco. I think I like what you're rolling better. Hope it taste better too.

MarcL

Sorry. I thought it was still drying as you once said you dry your newly wrapped stick with scrap tobacco. I think I like what you're rolling better. Hope it taste better too.

I have smoked a natural egg by DE. I hope this one taste and burns better too.

MarcL

hashtag challenging

So these things are said to come in a 6 X 42/70/42. both the one got and made are 5.55 X 38/100/38.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
That is a work of perfection. I consider you to be a cigar sculptor. My brain hurts when I think of making the bunch, and trimming the wrapper shape.

I didn't measure my fat cigar, but it was probably about 72 ring. Compared to the egg, it was stupid easy.

The idea of the narrow foot on the egg is to make it easier to light. At 72, at least, I had no difficulty lighting my tuba.

Bob

MarcL

Yeah, I think it was the lack of direction on how to pull it off that kept it in waiting.
The only video is years old and gives no clue besides what the molds look like.
When I saw the tuba I said wait a minute, there's a path there I can see. it wasn't the one that got me there but, it got me started.
At first I didn't thing it was going to work out. that's what changed my strategy. I thought, I'm just making a pregnant short lancero right? , (from the center) 2 entubado to length and, then began shorter entubado/estrujado around to what seemed like enough. a light binding and I started molding in paper when I returned to better gauging how much more I needed till it was right. The tubes got shorter and binding was narrow and off the board. there where 3 separate sets of paper moldings to wick some moister out. I used tape as well.
Wrapping was done by separating the lamina and veins. there were 3 lamina used and a flag.

Leftynick

P_20170620_230501.jpg
P_20170620_230701.jpg

Early harvest cigar. When I opened my box to restack my tobacco, I become tempted with my Little Dutch smell. So I decided my first cigar roll from this year grow. This is little dutch seco and one ligero leaves, Harrow Velvet for binder and wrapper. Nothing too fancy and need to increase my wrapping skill. Will smoke this tomorrow after a day rest. Tried the scrap in a cig rolling paper, and very impressed with the taste.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
It looks like about a 40 or 42 gauge. Ring gauge is defined in 64ths of an inch. So a 1 inch diameter = 64 ring; 3/4 inch diameter = 48 ring.

If you do the math, you can calculate ring gauge with a metric ruler.

Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Why does it go all the way down to ring gauge 1, but doesn't go above 64?

I guess a more intelligent question is the origin of "ring" gauge; what else is it used for. I wear a size 8 ring on my 4th finger, so it's not that kind of ring.

Bob

MarcL

I'm pretty sure this came from this forum. Knuck I think? before I stole this to my desktop I would mic in inches and divide by 0.015625.
I just used it. That egg measured 1.57 inch so I looked at this chart and said ok, 1 = 64 and .57 is 36 so, 100 RG.
you've never smoked a 1 RG?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
you've never smoked a 1 RG?
I might have, but didn't notice that I smoked it.

I did a little searching on the history of "ring gauge," as it applies to cigars. In the process, I came across a lot of BS from otherwise reputable sites. I found no history of the term's use as applied to cigars.

I'm going to guess that it started out as a cigar ring size--in 64ths of an inch, which was measured with a "gauge" made by drilling the different size holes in a board. The board at the factory was the "gauge" of the ring size. That would suggest that the proper terms are "ring size" for the cigar, and "ring gauge" for the measuring device. [After years of training myself to spell it "gauge" rather than "guage," it will be hard to give up using the term for the cigar.]

In addition to the antique ring gauges, like the one you have, there are some inexpensive modern ones available.

Less than $10: http://www.cheaphumidors.com/other/the-cheaphumidors-cigar-ring-gauge-chart.html

I've also seen printed ring gauges consisting of black circles of the appropriate sizes.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.