Whole Leaf Tobacco
Page 176 of 176 FirstFirst ... 76126166174175176
Results 1,751 to 1,754 of 1754

Re: Pics of your sticks!!

Home-Grown Cigar

This cigar is a home-grown puro. That is, the entire cigar is home-rolled from home-grown leaf. The wrapper and binder are both home-grown Besuki (tabakanbau) from the 2017 crop--fresh out of the kiln this morning. Overall, that leaf would grade as binder, because of color variation and a few small holes. Despite being sun-grown, the leaf is light in color, and is quite thin and stretchy.

The filler is entirely home-grown Vuelta Abajo from my 2016 crop. It is all mid-stalk leaf, having a medium-light maduro color and a leathery texture. Since it was not in as low a case as I prefer for a cigar that I will smoke without "resting", I rolled it a little bit looser than usual, as can be seen in the view of the foot.

The taste of the wrapper is smooth and subtle, as with all Besuki wrapper. The cigar lit easily, and burned fairly evenly, though the light gray ash tended to flake away. Strength is medium. The smoke is full and soft, with a typical Vuelta Abajo aroma. There is no taste or aroma of raw or inadequate aging, though the filler does have a slight edge, which I suppose would vanish after multi-year aging.

By comparison to factory "premium" cigars, I would rate this home-brew solidly in the middle of the pack, in terms of enjoyability. The Vuelta Abajo is not quite as soft tasting as, for example, WLT Cibao Valley Vuelta Abajo.

Overall, not bad for a 25 cent cigar.

Bob

Thumbs up. Invisible Like button pressed.

She looks like a mighty fine cigar there Bob. Next season can't come soon enough I have cigar envy, growing me some Dom Republic Olor and CT Shade next season, can't wait to try rolling my own cigars.

I appreciate the kind words.

"What this country needs is a really good [twenty-] five cent cigar."
    Vice President Thomas R. Marshall

Bob

Page 176 of 176 FirstFirst ... 76126166174175176