Whole Leaf Tobacco
Page 175 of 175 FirstFirst ... 75125165173174175
Results 1,741 to 1,750 of 1750
  1. #1741
    Senior Member ArizonaDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ (east valley)
    Posts
    2,144


    Re: Pics of your sticks!!

    Quote Originally Posted by deluxestogie View Post

    My embarrassingly ugly pigtails.

    This post is actually a follow-up to Waikikigun's excellent video on pigtail caps. I use a pigtail as a quick and dirty way to finish rolling a cigar. Its purpose is to keep the wrapper from becoming an unwrapper. Once the pigtail has dried, it stays put, even without glue.

    I have a philosophical issue with allocating much time to finishing the head of a cigar. The head is, after all, destined to be chopped off, as the first act of smoking a cigar. So, aside from boasting rights on the most factory-looking head, the only function of the wrapper at the head is to anchor itself, and prevent the cigar from unraveling. Sometimes I glue the pigtail (when the stick is destined for use as a gift), and sometimes I don't (most of the time).

    I do admire the artistry of a beautiful head, a finished pigtail "fuse", a quad toe-loop double lift cap, etc. But I can't motivate myself to get very good at it. Most of the cigars I roll are for yours truly. If I'm expecting to smoke a stick immediately after rolling it (a nasty habit I'm prone to), then the pigtail is required to remain in place only long enough for me to reach for the cigar cutter.

    Bob
    I hear you and concur. At this point, I just store them with the end chopped off. I make 3, one to smoke, one to share, one to store for a rainy day.
    Amateur Cigar roller, Tobacco enthusiast.

  2. #1742
    Senior Member ArizonaDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ (east valley)
    Posts
    2,144


    Re: Pics of your sticks!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Vanerpaddel View Post
    Had some fun with a photo shoots today and a couple of friends helped me :
    Attachment 22895

    Attachment 22896

    Attachment 22897

    Attachment 22898

    Attachment 22899
    Nice Pics, nice sticks!
    Amateur Cigar roller, Tobacco enthusiast.

  3. #1743
    Administrator deluxestogie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    near Blacksburg, VA
    Posts
    10,699


    Re: Pics of your sticks!!

    I vote for the lizard. Great lighting, well proportioned to the cigars, convincing presence, complimentary colors.

    The cobra is not inviting. The bird may leave a memento. Snoopy is expecting a fatter cigar, and is indicating how much fatter. Swedish flamingos are blurry.

    Bob

  4. #1744
    Member Vanerpaddel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    45


    Re: Pics of your sticks!!

    Quote Originally Posted by deluxestogie View Post
    I vote for the lizard. Great lighting, well proportioned to the cigars, convincing presence, complimentary colors.

    The cobra is not inviting. The bird may leave a memento. Snoopy is expecting a fatter cigar, and is indicating how much fatter. Swedish flamingos are blurry.

    Bob
    Thanks Bob , but the swedish flamingo was ment to be in the bokeh version, they are blurry in the wild.

  5. #1745
    Member Vanerpaddel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    45


    Re: Pics of your sticks!!

    Quote Originally Posted by MarcL View Post
    Nice ones, what kind of wrapper?

  6. #1746
    Senior Member greenmonster714's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    West Central Alabama
    Posts
    965


    Re: Pics of your sticks!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Vanerpaddel View Post
    Had some fun with a photo shoots today and a couple of friends helped me :

    Attachment 22898
    What a great and creative way to display your home rolled stash. I like the lizard as well.

  7. #1747
    Senior Member MarcL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Central Maryland
    Posts
    2,432


    Re: Pics of your sticks!!

    tobacco, roll with it...

  8. #1748
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    France
    Posts
    839


    Re: Pics of your sticks!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Vanerpaddel View Post
    Had some fun with a photo shoots today and a couple of friends helped me :
    Yes ! nice and original pictures
    The lizard one is my favorite.

  9. #1749
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    France
    Posts
    839


    Re: Pics of your sticks!!

    Quote Originally Posted by deluxestogie View Post

    My embarrassingly ugly pigtails.

    This post is actually a follow-up to Waikikigun's excellent video on pigtail caps. I use a pigtail as a quick and dirty way to finish rolling a cigar. Its purpose is to keep the wrapper from becoming an unwrapper. Once the pigtail has dried, it stays put, even without glue.

    I have a philosophical issue with allocating much time to finishing the head of a cigar. The head is, after all, destined to be chopped off, as the first act of smoking a cigar. So, aside from boasting rights on the most factory-looking head, the only function of the wrapper at the head is to anchor itself, and prevent the cigar from unraveling. Sometimes I glue the pigtail (when the stick is destined for use as a gift), and sometimes I don't (most of the time).

    I do admire the artistry of a beautiful head, a finished pigtail "fuse", a quad toe-loop double lift cap, etc. But I can't motivate myself to get very good at it. Most of the cigars I roll are for yours truly. If I'm expecting to smoke a stick immediately after rolling it (a nasty habit I'm prone to), then the pigtail is required to remain in place only long enough for me to reach for the cigar cutter.

    Bob
    As much as I appreciate a beautiful looking cigar, when I roll a cigar myself I don't really care if it is nice or ugly (I don't use mold either).
    By the way, your pigtails are not as ugly as you think, they are just unrefined.

    This conversation about cigar heads lead me to a question : is there a real benefit to close the head of a cigar (with a pigtail, or a cap, triple cap...) compared to cigars with open head ?
    I ask this, because I always cut my own cigars as soon as they are rolled, even if I don't plan on smoking them the same day.

  10. #1750
    Administrator deluxestogie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    near Blacksburg, VA
    Posts
    10,699


    Re: Pics of your sticks!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Charly View Post
    ..."unrefined"

    This conversation about cigar heads lead me to a question : is there a real benefit to close the head of a cigar (with a pigtail, or a cap, triple cap...) compared to cigars with open head ?

    E.R. Billings, 1875.

    I think you've just named the only benefit to closing the head of a cigar. True believers of cigar mythology consider an open head to be unrefined.

    About 180 years ago, when most cigars were tapered at both ends, both the head and foot were closed. This slowed the desiccation of the filler, in a age when most vendors and customers did not own a humidor. Biting off the ends or twists was the usual approach to opening them.

    Unfortunately, lighting the wrong end causes the cigar to unwrap itself. My personal opinion is that the tradition of selling cigars with an open foot and a closed head arose from the need to indicate which end to light. Cigar bands were developed later, and probably were solely intended to minimize counterfeiting of better quality cigars.

    A cigar with either both ends open or both ends closed seems to fair better in uncontrolled temperature and humidity, since the interior and exterior leaf adjusts together. With an open foot and closed head, the foot of the cigar (and not the head) tends to split when the conditions swing back and forth.

    So, my conclusion is that if your cigars will rest inside a humidor, it doesn't matter if the head (and/or foot) are open or closed. Otherwise, the cigars are more stable if either both ends are open or both ends are closed.

    If you plan on presenting a cigar to your brother-in-law, ignore what I just said. (This is similar to the wine bottle argument about cork or screw cap.)

    Bob

Page 175 of 175 FirstFirst ... 75125165173174175

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Comment via Facebook