Whole Leaf Tobacco
Page 174 of 176 FirstFirst ... 74124164172173174175176 LastLast
Results 1,731 to 1,740 of 1754

Re: Pics of your sticks!!

Quote Originally Posted by deluxestogie View Post
    I never knew this, but apparently CT Shade is being grown in Cuba. https://www.cigaraficionado.com/arti...f-in-cuba-7666

Bob
    Thanks for this link !
    It seems that Cuba is evolving, growing CT Shade in Cuba only to export it in whole leaf form...
    It's strange that the guy claims that they won't use this CT Shade on their own Cuban Cigars... Aren't they proud enough of it ? It's a strange comment (commercially wise)...

Bob,
    Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts on that Bolivar. I didn't get the "flavor" on the head of the cigar that you refer to but the rest of your perceptions are fairly close to mine. It is definitely a strong cigar and I found that to be it's defining characteristic. It was strong in the same way that I find many Nicaraguan puros, think Tatuaje. The last time the gold medal was produced and released it sold for about 10 dollars a stick, more than I would pay for one after trying them. They go for 30 to 35 per stick now and are highly sought after. IMHO not worth it by any stretch.

I have heard unverified rumors that Habanos SA has been very quietly importing leaf from other countries to help meet demand.

Pete

A little history on the gold medal taken from https://thecigarnut.com/cigar-review...ar-gold-medal/ Don't read the review unless you enjoy hype.

Many of the die hard Cuban Cigar fans may recognize the Bolivar Gold Medal as a 2004 Habanos release exclusive to Germany but some may have forgotten ( or were not aware ) that the line actually started prior to 1960 but was discontinued in 1992. Twelve years later Habanos S.A. decided to re-release the Gold Medal but was limited to retailers in Germany, followed by another cease of production after only one year. 2007 brought the line back into action, but this time being limited to the La Casa Del Habanos chain. From what I understand, production again ended in 2011 and as of this time they are not slated to be another production item.

Interesting details. Here's what I smoked:

Bob

Bob,
    That would make it from the 2007-2011 release.
    Scroll down the the gold medal and the two bands is from the last release.
    https://www.cubancigarwebsite.com/brand/bolivar

Cigars:Handmade

Bands:Original cigar - standard band A.
    Reinstated cigar - standard band B & C with a La Casa del Habano band.

Packagingress Box of 10 cigars in gold foil

History:Standard cigar discontinued in 1992. Reinstated in 2007 as a LCDH cigar but discontinued in 2011.
    There was also a special release in 2004.

tobacco, roll with it...

MarcL the cigars you roll have inspired me to grow cigar varieties next season, Cigars in New Zealand are taxed heavierly, I've rarely had the privilege to smoke them.

Thank you for reminding me I enjoy cigars.

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiGrown View Post
    MarcL the cigars you roll have inspired me to grow cigar varieties next season, Cigars in New Zealand are taxed heavierly, I've rarely had the privilege to smoke them.

Thank you for reminding me I enjoy cigars.
    That is great news! The best to you and your endeavors my friend.
    tobacco, roll with it...

tobacco, roll with it...

My embarrassingly ugly pigtails.

This post is actually a follow-up to Waikikigun's excellent video on pigtail caps. I use a pigtail as a quick and dirty way to finish rolling a cigar. Its purpose is to keep the wrapper from becoming an unwrapper. Once the pigtail has dried, it stays put, even without glue.

I have a philosophical issue with allocating much time to finishing the head of a cigar. The head is, after all, destined to be chopped off, as the first act of smoking a cigar. So, aside from boasting rights on the most factory-looking head, the only function of the wrapper at the head is to anchor itself, and prevent the cigar from unraveling. Sometimes I glue the pigtail (when the stick is destined for use as a gift), and sometimes I don't (most of the time).

I do admire the artistry of a beautiful head, a finished pigtail "fuse", a quad toe-loop double lift cap, etc. But I can't motivate myself to get very good at it. Most of the cigars I roll are for yours truly. If I'm expecting to smoke a stick immediately after rolling it (a nasty habit I'm prone to), then the pigtail is required to remain in place only long enough for me to reach for the cigar cutter.

Bob

Had some fun with a photo shoots today and a couple of friends helped me :
    0ZMx04H.jpg

7VgqI93.jpg

T1PiBL1.jpg

2h4Vw76.jpg

gYC14xC.jpg

Page 174 of 176 FirstFirst ... 74124164172173174175176 LastLast