Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Seed count in pod

Status
Not open for further replies.

indianjoe

Founding Member
I've had a low count of zero (something ate them all :) to what seems to be several thousand per pod.

dkh2

Southern Washington State I can see Oregon from my
I don't know per pod but here is how many I got from one plant of Virginia Gold this year.

T5Ag6.jpg

Lot of chaff from the pods but that's ok

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
My average for 30 plants (2 each of 15 varieties) came to 1 ounce weight (~30 grams) per plant. Range was about 1/2 ounce to 2 ounces per plant.

Bob

BarG

Founding Member
If 1/10th of a gram is 100 seeds, that wold be 30,000 seeds per plant? Multiply x 30 = 900,000 seeds. Does that sound about right?

BarG

Founding Member
I've had a low count of zero (something ate them all :) to what seems to be several thousand per pod.

I had a couple of pods hatch a caterpillar after topping and sitting on a tray a few days after cutting. Instead of seeds you get caterpillar poop.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
If 1/10th of a gram is 100 seeds, that wold be 30,000 seeds per plant? Multiply x 30 = 900,000 seeds. Does that sound about right?
I believe a tenth of a gram is about 700 to 800 seeds. One gram is in the neighborhood of 8000 seeds.

Bob

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
I had a couple of pods hatch a caterpillar after topping and sitting on a tray a few days after cutting. Instead of seeds you get caterpillar poop.

4-sure,,,

any pods i see that has a small hole in it,,,{from the caterpillar}

i toss that pod,,,,,the bug done ate all the seeds,

BigBonner

Founding Member
I saved alot of seeds and the problem I had was worms in the pods . I sprayed orthene on the pods on the plants I bagged for seeds , they still destroyed alot of the seed pods . I only applied orthene to the seed plants .
What does anyone else use for the pod worms ?

BarG

Founding Member
I thought the same moths that layed eggs on the leaves were laying in a couple of my seed pods, one hatched out in the house after topping and the worm or caterpillar looked the same as were on my leaves. Maybe the liquid BT.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
i havent seen a worm yet,that can survive my liquid b.t.

BigBonner

Founding Member
I thought I had the worms at hand . They are bud worms , I think the only thing I should have done was spray more times than I did .

Here is a copy and paste form a site about them .

Tobacco Budworm

The tobacco budworm adult is a grayish-brown moth that is active primarily at night. She deposits eggs on the leaves and shoots of the host, and the larva feed on all parts of the plant, but appear to prefer flowers, buds, and young seed pods. The young worms do not eat much, but a mature budworm may be an inch to an inch and a half long and can devour several flowers in a day. Plants, and especially the flowers, can be completely destroyed.

Control is best done when the worms are young. The first and second growth stages (instars) are easily killed, however, as the larva approach maturity (fourth instar), they are tougher and harder to kill. Control measures should start as soon as you see damage. Early feeding injury will show as small (one-eighth inch) holes in leaves and flowers, or small (one-sixteenth inch) holes in flower buds. Coverage is important, and several sprays may need to be applied at seven to ten day intervals to keep the tobacco budworms under control during the late summer and fall. Read and follow container label instructions for best results.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I think that is the secret... control early, which means constant vigilance. By the way, I use Spinosad and before that BT ( switched to Spinosad about 4 years ago). I have never had anything affect my buds/seeds.... which of course means that this year they will devastate me

Status
Not open for further replies.