Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

green dig in manures

Status
Not open for further replies.

jekylnz

I've been looking into green manures for the off season to dig in and replenish my soil as I have limited space and no space to rest. .does anyone do this or done this this winter? And is there better types to grow than others? Blue lupens..oats.crimson clover.mustard.buckwheat.marygold.lucerne.broad beans.soybeans.phacelia.

bonehead

i am not sure what is best but i grew vetch (not sure which kind) maby hairy? and winter rye mix. it is cold by the time i plant and an old farmer down the road had the mix. he wan'ted a bottle of vodka for as much seed as i wan'ted but said turn it under in the spring before it goes to seed. it grew good and was easy to turn under in the spring. if you plant something don't let it resead it self.

jojjas

Any kind of clower or lucern or even peas are very good to use as green manures , they has the good properties to extract nitrogen from the air and bring it back to the soil , and peas have also deep root system and help to loosens up the soil deep down

bonehead

a lot of what you plant for off season cover crops depends on your climate. i live in the northeast and if you wan't something to grow in the winter you have to pick something that will grow in the winter where you live. i know where i live i have to plant clover in mid to late summer if i wan't it to grow at all. my tobacco is still growing at that time so clover is out for me. check your climate where you live is the best advise anyone can give you.

Aaron

I would offer a slightly different solution. Plant a good cover crop but don't till it in. Just chop it down before it goes to seed and drop it right where it's at to help form a mulch layer and to feed the soil. I would also use white clover instead because it is perennial and grows low to the ground so when you chop the annuals the clover will remain to continue feeding the soil and fungi which in turn feeds your wonderful baccy plants. You may want to think on the Lucerne (aka. Alfalfa) It is a wonderful leguminous plant that I would plant if it were me, but being perennial with an extremely long tap root, once it's there it may be there for a long time. I could go on and on about this subject but I'll leave it here for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.