Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

casing experiment

TarantulaDan

Going to try a casing experiment on some cheap and nasty tobacco going to use a basic casing with honey water , any suggestions? Willl be posting results here -doing this to learn and practice flavoring and casing

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
I did this not too long ago, I heated the oven to 175*F (79*C) and spread the shredded tobacco out on a cookie sheet. I then made a casing liquid of 4 ounces water to 1/2 tablespoon honey. (I heated the water up in a pot, scooped out the honey and stirred the water until the honey had melted and mixed with the water) I then put the solution into a spray bottle. Sprayed a light mist on the tobacco, "baked" for 10 minutes" reapplied and did this 6 more times. It starts to smell different. At first it smells a bit awful but the smell starts to change into a slightly sweet tobacco smell. I then took it out and let it air dry until REALLY dry, and then slowly brought it back into case in a plastic (food safe) tupperware with a small saucer of water in amongst the tobacco.

I don't know this for certain but I think adding more "sugar" (IE honey) would help mellow it out more.

DonH

That recipe will definitely smooth out harsher tobaccos. It works well on Burleys.

jekylnz

I do a casing to mask crap baccy..I use..abit of rum essence. .(aprx 1 tsp).alcohol2-3tsp. (if you have it) some maple syrup.2-3Tsp .glucose syrup (glycerine)2-3Tsp.. pinch of citric acid. .a couple of drops of aniseed.mix with 1/4 cup hot water. .helps penatrate better .I aslo use this for my pipe cakes..just use more on it (soaked)..this will treat about 300 grms or so of baccy

DGBAMA

Not sure of the variety(my guess is it's left overs from other products) ,Its a really cheap(about R8(+-60c US)brand here its really harsh and dry(brittle too) will post pics soon

glycerine in the casing mix will help with the dryness, it helps the baccy retain a bit of moisture.

TarantulaDan

For my casing recipe I used(sadly I used rough measurements here so please bear with me) two teaspoons of honey,10ml of Jagemeister(I figured it would aid in the smoothing out) one spoon of sugar and about 1/4 spoon of instant coffee this was mixed in some warm water and made a syrupy mixture and I spread about three table spoons over about 50grms of cheap and nasty tobacco and it come out much better . though it took a few days to even out and be dry enough to smoke it . Overall it did smooth out the flavor and I'm using it to mix with mt other rolling tobacco. it will need some more tweaking though .