Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Fresh Choice Cigarette Machine and Tobacco

Status
Not open for further replies.

winston-smoker

I got the used Fresh Choice electric cigarette machine I recently bought back from having been refurbished by the Fresh Choice company on Jan. 13, and have been using it since Jan. 15. It turned out that my machine had a disconnected power cord, which I expected to be the case, but also many of the internal parts were nearly worn out with age, and so the machine was almost entirely rebuilt. The machine is amazing! My first time using it, I made a pack in three minutes. In fact, I spent more time cleaning it (though it is very easy to clean) and putting it away than I did making the cigarettes. More importantly than speed and ease of use, it made practically perfect cigarettes, virtually no difference from factory-made. The Fresh Choice machine made my Zen SuperShooter seem like a caveman's tool by comparison.

Fresh Choice's preshredded "pipe tobacco" has the brand name of Desperado. I got the robust blend, which is a blend of flue-cured, burley, and oriental tobaccos. All Desperado blends are 100% natural and additive-free. I don't know whether Desperado Robust is the same as Fresh Choice's "Just Good Tobacco" Full-Flavor American Blend (red ribbon) of unshredded tobacco leaves sold in 12.5 lb. bags. I plan to ask about it. Upon opening the transparent, ziplock plastic bag, the aroma was "grassy" and slightly "spicy." The cut didn't resemble other pipe tobaccos much, which has me wondering whether if this is the cut given by Fresh Choice's tobacco shredder. So far, I've found no stems, and viewing the bag from all sides, I didn't see any stems. If there are stems in the tobacco, they must be very small venous stems. As you might expect from 100% natural tobacco, there are no added flavors; the taste is fairly pleasant, though a little bland. I'm wondering whether spraying some casing on it might make it more flavorful. I just sprayed some casing that I had leftover on some of it, so I'll report back on whether that makes a difference in a day or two. Otherwise, given its "neutral" taste, it might work well as a "blender" with other tobaccos. I'll probably try that as well. The robust blend, which I stuffed into FF Zen tubes, is milder than my usual preference. Perhaps it might be bolder in a different tube? I'm going to try it in Gambler Red and Fresh Choice's Tobacco Leaves full-flavor tubes ("Tobacco Leaves" is the brand name of the tubes made for, and sold by, Fresh Choice). So that is something I'll also report back on in a few days.

Interestingly, you won't find Desperado on Fresh Choice's justgoodtobacco.com website or on its printed order forms. I had asked about that, and was told that it is available for sale, but that they are not advertising it because they are trying to move their customers away from "pipe tobacco" in favor of their blends of tobacco leaves, which they think offer a better value for the customer.

winston-smoker

By the way, I forgot to add that Fresh Choice's invoice says that all federal and state (and the state is identified at the top) excise taxes have been paid. Another thing to add, the filter tubes are made in the same factory in the Philippines that makes Zen, Beretta, and Vera Cruz filter tubes.

DGBAMA

Nice little review.

Only real hiccup I have heard about the FC stuffer is thatit is fussy about the baccy being in "just right" case to packconsistently. Have you noticed this yet?

winston-smoker

First, to answer DGBAMA: I've heard the same thing ... it supposedly has problems with overly moist tobacco. But, then, so do a lot of injectors. It hasn't been "fussy" with anything I've used so far, including Don's cigarette blends which I've processed.

Fresh Choice answered my questions:

(1) Desperado Robust is identical to their Full-Flavor American Blend (Red Ribbon). I'm thinking that the reason for the slight "spicy" aroma and for it being too mild for my taste is that perhaps there's too much Oriental in the blend.

(2) Desperado's cut is not the same as the cut given by their tobacco shredder; i.e., Desperado is still a "pipe cut," but with narrower ribbons than is typical of most other pipe tobacco brands.

(3) Their Natural Virginia Blend (Green Ribbon) is an English blend, which they said is akin to American Spirit cigarettes -- I think I might like that blend better.

The tobacco that I cased now smells different (I hope I didn't overdo it!), but no great risk, I only sprayed the casing on about a pack's worth of tobacco. I should have a chance to try it by tomorrow morning.

winston-smoker

Fresh Choice's Tobacco Leaves Filter Tubes

I can now give a review of Fresh Choice's Tobacco Leaves filter tubes ("Tobacco Leaves" is the brand name; it is a "normal" paper filter tube). I got the full-flavor king-size tubes. According to Fresh Choice, their filter tubes are manufactured by the same factory that makes Zen, Beretta, Vera Cruz, and "other quality tubes." That factory is located in the Philippines. The Tobacco Leaves tubes are practically identical to the Zen tubes I normally use. The filter is the same length, and the only differences in appearance are the printing of the brand name (obviously) and the duller color and cork design of the filter paper.

These are quality filter tubes, with an even burn, no separation of the filter paper from the filter, no mushy filter when smoked, no muting of the tobacco flavor, and no "foreign" tastes.

winston-smoker

Update on Desperado Tobacco:
Before I even tried the tobacco I cased yesterday, Desperado Robust's flavor was starting to "grow on me." This morning I made cigarettes with the tobacco I cased. The casing added a hint of chocolate to the flavor, so if I try casing it again, I think I might spray it more lightly. Before casing, the tobacco had what I would describe as a slightly "raw" taste; but after casing, the "raw" taste was gone. In fact, the cased Desperado Robust tobacco tasted somewhat like Don's American Old-Style Bold cigarette blend. My only remaining issue with Desperado Robust is that it is just too mild a smoke for my taste, so I'm going to have to blend it with something "stronger" or "bolder."

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
i'll have to go on YOU TUBE and watch this machine at work, if they got a video of it there,

i used a powermatic machine till i wore it out,

my next machine purchase may be a different one,

im definatlly in the market,

DGBAMA

i'll have to go on YOU TUBE and watch this machine at work, if they got a video of it there,

its almost too simple. fill the hopper, put tube on, push button, put tube on, push button.............until hopper is empty or you have enough smokes.

winston-smoker

http://www.justgoodtobacco.com

On right side of homepage, click "see video and info" under picture of JGT Cigarette Machine (that's what they're calling it now). On new webpage, click "Watch Videos. Click Here" under the picture. On new webpage, scroll down and select desired video to watch.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brown Thumb

I bought one the other day due to your review. I want to see what this baby can do.
I think I will see it wed. And I am going to put her up against a wore out powermatic.
I hope she proforms well.
430 bucks On eBay at the moment.

winston-smoker

I bought one the other day due to your review. I want to see what this baby can do.
I think I will see it wed. And I am going to put her up against a wore out powermatic.
I hope she proforms well.
430 bucks On eBay at the moment.

Was it new or used? At that price, I hope it was a new one! I'll be curious to hear what you think.

By the way, I just blended some Desperado Robust with Don's Virginia Blend (Cigarette Blend #2). Very nice ... while Desperado Robust is too mild by itself for my taste, it seems to make other tobaccos blended with it taste better.

Last edited:

Brown Thumb

Buy it now on eBay, New, free shipping 430.Bucks
Seller has 4 left.

winston-smoker

Buy it now on eBay, New, free shipping 430.Bucks
Seller has 4 left.

That's what I was wondering, whether the seller had more than one for sale. $430 is about the cheapest I've seen for a brand new one. Back when they were first introduced to the market, the company's price was $449, and now the price if bought direct from the company is $499. Good luck with yours, and let us know what you think of it.

AmaxB

I had one a few years ago, used it a week and sent it back. It did not fill the tubes consistently, could be I'm to fussy.

winston-smoker

I had one a few years ago, used it a week and sent it back. It did not fill the tubes consistently, could be I'm to fussy.

That hasn't been my experience with it. Occasionally I might get a cigarette in which there's perhaps 1/4 inch space at the tip, but that's better than getting filter gaps, and no cigarette I've made with the FC machine has had a filter gap. And when you "pack" commercial cigarettes, some brands might tamp down as much as that. But I would say that 90% of the cigarettes are practically perfect.

The machine is allegedly very fussy with overly moist tobacco. What tobacco, or cut, were you using?

Last edited:

winston-smoker

Just an update on Desperado tobacco: I'm now almost halfway through the first bag, and so far I've found only a few small venous stems in it. So the "technical quality" so far appears to be very good, practically no "trash." I also think that this tobacco makes an ideal "blender."

Brown Thumb

I got mine the other day and am happy with it so far.
Rolled 2 cartons it takes a little to get used to but I did not read the directions and found out the compaction rate will not change until you roll 2 To 3 ciggs.
My Baccy is at 30% rh and rolls fine.
It is also quicker than a powermatic 2.
I normally do not roll my ciggs, I pay my kid to, but this I enjoy using. He is worried I will do it from now on and he will lose the 5 bucks I was paying him.

Status
Not open for further replies.