Whole Leaf Tobacco
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Startin some early.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken View Post
    thats about the time i plan on starting mine,

just waiting on some more seeds to show up.

i have a big grow room plenty of room for many plants, and a heater in there, so outside temps are no worries,

allthough i got to get some vermiculite. and to do that i got to go 3 towns over, but it's a massive garden center,

when i go there, i may get all my veggie seeds i plan on doing this year,,,

im gonna try my hand at doing some NORTH CAROLINA GIANT watermelons,,,, ive grew them before, years ago,
    Skychaser has a lot more than just baccy seeds on his site. Check it out and save gas.

http://northwoodseeds.com

Quote Originally Posted by bonehead View Post
    you guys have high hopes. last year i ended giving some of my seedlings a haircut because of crowding out of light. as long as you don't trim the main stalk i didn't see a difference eccept for bigger root systems and a faster takeoff after transplanting into the garden.. i cliped the top of the stalk off on a couple by accident and if i was growing for flowers or seeds it would have been good. two tops don't make better,bigger leaves.
    I did this last year as some of you advised me that it was good to do so. I will be doing it again this year as they grew much better with a haircut. I hope to get my seed started in the first week of March , the 3rd to be exact as this was the date I very first started my first crop a few years ago.
    "When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations,
    the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic. Dresden James

Most likely round May 1st. But if we get an early spring Id like to have some ready And I would like to spread out the plantin some.
    A new start...

Quote Originally Posted by Boboro View Post
    Most likely round May 1st. But if we get an early spring Id like to have some ready And I would like to spread out the plantin some.
    up here you push your luck if you plant outside before memorial day weekend. some years you can plant a week or two earlier but sometimes you get freezer burnt. if you grow plants you can just go to home cheapo or sprallmart and get more it is a small monitary loss. i think you have a good idea about spreading out the planting times. what is the accepted safe planting time in mississippi? do they have a so called safe planting time like we do in the northeast? i sure could use an early spring this year. this global warming is freezing me this year.

Last and first frost dates by zip code: http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/...n-Is-It-Really

Here's my results:
    Each winter, on average, your risk of frost is from October 27 through April 4.Almost certainly, however, you will receive frost from November 12 through March 22.

You are almost guaranteed that you will not get frost from April 18 through October 11.

Your frost-free growing season is around 206 days.

Temperature 10% 20% 30% 40% 50% 60% 70% 80% 90%
    Spring 32° Apr 15 Apr 9 Apr 5 Apr 2 Mar 30 Mar 27 Mar 24 Mar 20 Mar 14
    Spring 28° Apr 2 Mar 26 Mar 21 Mar 16 Mar 12 Mar 8 Mar 4 Feb 26 Feb 19
    Spring 24° Mar 18 Mar 10 Mar 4 Feb 27 Feb 22 Feb 18 Feb 13 Feb 7 Jan 30
    Fall 32° Oct 27 Oct 31 Nov 4 Nov 7 Nov 10 Nov 13 Nov 17 Nov 20 Nov 26
    Fall 28° Nov 2 Nov 10 Nov 15 Nov 19 Nov 23 Nov 27 Dec 2 Dec 7 Dec 14
    Fall 24° Nov 17 Nov 27 Dec 4 Dec 10 Dec 15 Dec 20 Dec 26 Jan 2 Jan 11

So, April 18 is my target date. I'll start plants inside 8 weeks in advance.

A nutter thing that a seedling killer is high wind and cold wet dirt will set them back futher than just waitin to put them in the ground till its warmer. Have some buckets ready to cover them and workim in the ground a little then put a brick {we ant got many rocks}on top. Works good for heavy rain also. If you know cat ppl. they have litter buckets that work great.
    A new start...

Got some started , the Havana 142, not coming up like the criollo 98 but .... What r ya gonna do? Plant some more!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

How exactly should the "haircut" be done?

These have been trimmed: http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/...ll=1#post38457
    Cut about half off the larger leaves that might be shading the smaller plants. Do not cut the growth bud. This opens up sunlight to the interior of the tray, allows sun to the shorter plants, and seems to help thicken the stalk.

Coming back to the original post, I started mine in February, too, and would say at the end of the season that it was a success - better a bit early than a bit late.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast