Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Startin some early.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boboro

Im gona start 50 seedling on feb. 15 gust in case we get a early spring. If we don't I'll put em in pots. I messed around to late last year and the plants just didn't take off like they should have.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I'm starting mine about the same time. I hope to transplant into the ground around the middle of April.

bonehead

you guys have high hopes. last year i ended giving some of my seedlings a haircut because of crowding out of light. as long as you don't trim the main stalk i didn't see a difference eccept for bigger root systems and a faster takeoff after transplanting into the garden.. i cliped the top of the stalk off on a couple by accident and if i was growing for flowers or seeds it would have been good. two tops don't make better,bigger leaves.

jekylnz

you guys have high hopes. last year i ended giving some of my seedlings a haircut because of crowding out of light. as long as you don't trim the main stalk i didn't see a difference eccept for bigger root systems and a faster takeoff after transplanting into the garden.. i cliped the top of the stalk off on a couple by accident and if i was growing for flowers or seeds it would have been good. two tops don't make better,bigger leaves.

I also frequently mow the tops of my seedlings before and after transplanting out (as you say avoid cutting growth point) commercial tobacco companies always do it....from what I've noticed it makes them grow faster and concentrate on root growth..even after transplanting out I take bottom leaves off as they grow till about 4-5 inches high. .you will notice the ones you do it to grow up faster.

Boboro

Last year my plants didn't take off like they did in the past and sometimes we do get good wheather in early april. Im getting new bulbs for my floresant fixtures and that could have been my problem last spring. I was lookin at Wallys world yesterday and the peat pot are bigger and will be 36 to a flat in stead of 50.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
thats about the time i plan on starting mine,

just waiting on some more seeds to show up.

i have a big grow room plenty of room for many plants, and a heater in there, so outside temps are no worries,

allthough i got to get some vermiculite. and to do that i got to go 3 towns over, but it's a massive garden center,

when i go there, i may get all my veggie seeds i plan on doing this year,,,

im gonna try my hand at doing some NORTH CAROLINA GIANT watermelons,,,, ive grew them before, years ago,

DGBAMA

thats about the time i plan on starting mine,

just waiting on some more seeds to show up.

i have a big grow room plenty of room for many plants, and a heater in there, so outside temps are no worries,

allthough i got to get some vermiculite. and to do that i got to go 3 towns over, but it's a massive garden center,

when i go there, i may get all my veggie seeds i plan on doing this year,,,

im gonna try my hand at doing some NORTH CAROLINA GIANT watermelons,,,, ive grew them before, years ago,

Skychaser has a lot more than just baccy seeds on his site. Check it out and save gas.

http://northwoodseeds.com

Markw

I did this last year as some of you advised me that it was good to do so. I will be doing it again this year as they grew much better with a haircut. I hope to get my seed started in the first week of March , the 3rd to be exact as this was the date I very first started my first crop a few years ago.

Boboro

Most likely round May 1st. But if we get an early spring Id like to have some ready And I would like to spread out the plantin some.

bonehead

Most likely round May 1st. But if we get an early spring Id like to have some ready And I would like to spread out the plantin some.
up here you push your luck if you plant outside before memorial day weekend. some years you can plant a week or two earlier but sometimes you get freezer burnt. if you grow plants you can just go to home cheapo or sprallmart and get more it is a small monitary loss. i think you have a good idea about spreading out the planting times. what is the accepted safe planting time in mississippi? do they have a so called safe planting time like we do in the northeast? i sure could use an early spring this year. this global warming is freezing me this year.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Last and first frost dates by zip code: http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/781-Last-and-First-Frost-Date-When-Is-It-Really

Here's my results:
Each winter, on average, your risk of frost is from October 27 through April 4.Almost certainly, however, you will receive frost from November 12 through March 22.

You are almost guaranteed that you will not get frost from April 18 through October 11.

Your frost-free growing season is around 206 days.

Temperature10%20%30%40%50%60%70%80%90%
Spring 32°Apr 15Apr 9Apr 5Apr 2Mar 30Mar 27Mar 24Mar 20Mar 14
Spring 28°Apr 2Mar 26Mar 21Mar 16Mar 12Mar 8Mar 4Feb 26Feb 19
Spring 24°Mar 18Mar 10Mar 4Feb 27Feb 22Feb 18Feb 13Feb 7Jan 30
Fall 32°Oct 27Oct 31Nov 4Nov 7Nov 10Nov 13Nov 17Nov 20Nov 26
Fall 28°Nov 2Nov 10Nov 15Nov 19Nov 23Nov 27Dec 2Dec 7Dec 14
Fall 24°Nov 17Nov 27Dec 4Dec 10Dec 15Dec 20Dec 26Jan 2Jan 11

So, April 18 is my target date. I'll start plants inside 8 weeks in advance.

Boboro

A nutter thing that a seedling killer is high wind and cold wet dirt will set them back futher than just waitin to put them in the ground till its warmer. Have some buckets ready to cover them and workim in the ground a little then put a brick {we ant got many rocks}on top. Works good for heavy rain also. If you know cat ppl. they have litter buckets that work great.

El Gallo

Got some started , the Havana 142, not coming up like the criollo 98 but .... What r ya gonna do? Plant some more!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 70

Planter

Coming back to the original post, I started mine in February, too, and would say at the end of the season that it was a success - better a bit early than a bit late.

Status
Not open for further replies.