Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Organic feeds, what's your take on them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dean

I use a lot of crap, poultry, cow, hoarse and sheep.

I seem to use poultry early and again at the month and a half stage from plant out.

Cow and sheep go in well before the start of the season to bring the soil up a bit in not just organic water holding capacity but nutrients.

The hoarse which I use a lot of, tonnes actually either gets composted or used fresh and watered straight in to utilise the nitrogen for a quick green up. I have found laying it on top doesn't do much and takes a lot of time to decompose, you may as well use grass clippings which I wouldn't recommend as it creates nitrogen draw down, same as the hoarse on top. I did a bit of an experiment in a few spots this year with fresh hoarse and it worked quite well, a good feed and then sucked up a lot of nitrogen coming onto harvest. There was a visible difference in harvest with the treated plants maturing a lot faster than the others.

All but the hoarse seems to give good results straight away but as a long term feed the hoarse is gold if it is turned in.

what are you guys using organically to get your baccy through? Regimes similar? Same finding for the same poos?

cheers

bonehead

i use chicken crap mixed with mulched up leaves and other compostable items and wood stove ashes. i let the pile sit after mixing it up in the fall. in spring i mix it two or three more times then apply before transplanting my plants. it is always dark and full of red worms.

POGreen

August last year I got an idea to drill holes in the soil and stuff'em full full of organic feeds like grass , clover , nettles and fern to mention a few.
Didn't get this idea from just out of the blue , I had read alot about it here : http://www.skurupsborren.se/ , guess you can translate the text on the site if you have Google Chrome from swedish to english.
This guy , Borje Gustavsson calls this soilization and I got so inspired by his way of growing so I got myself a soildrill and started drillin'.
It's a lot of work but I hope to see some good results leafwise and its quite a challange as well to do somethin' in a different way.
The holes I drilled was like 6 '' wide x 2-3 feet deep.

Dean

That's not funny, i drill and enrich my pumpkin holes. I have put a few baccys in the pumpkin holes this grow so it will be interesting to see how they go.

POGreen

SLaX7zi.jpg

yayjdoW.jpg

EF35c0s.jpg
This guy was in one of the holes when I came the next day , couldn't get a hold of him down there but managed to '' rescue '' him by using the drill......

POGreen

This is one of out of two allotments I have for next years baccapatches , I'll do just the same wit' the other one but will use manure from chicken / horse and goldwater in the watersupply for the plants that I have in plasticbarrels.

Will also enrich the the water I use with grassclippings and clover.Hope dis' will do good during the season to come.

They are both very rich in nitrogen and smells very nice too ( stable), when doin' this last year one could see alot of small insects seeking their way to those barrels.

The soil ain't that bad , its just some sort of clay which I hope to make even better.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
ive had good sucess in the past using a CHICKEN MANURE/ SAWDUST mixture,

in my new spot, i'll be using strictlly non-organic granular fertilizer,

Status
Not open for further replies.