Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

WholeLeafTobacco Flue Cured Virginia Red Leaf (new stock)

Status
Not open for further replies.

holyRYO

Smoked enough so far to give a long term view on the new leaf. I love the taste of red virginias, it's hard to describe, but of the few I tried, they all have a less complex but much more vibrant flavor. The old stock Red had it in spades, love the stuff. But like others reds I tried, more on the harsh side. The new stock is less "red" in color, more "orange" like, and it taste accordingly, between the old stock Red and the Bright Leaf. Interesting that I often pick up a very nice tangerine like taste to it. Good thing about the new stock Red, not really any harsher than the Bright Leaf and less harsh than the old stock Red. Fantastic flavor, not too hard on the pipes... a great red, another winner! :):):)

Bad thing about the old Red, it was the only mechanically harvested leaf offered, made for much more work to prep. I am very glad I never tried the "other guy's" tobacco that is all mechanically harvested, would be unbearable if had to prep all the time. The hand picked new stock Red is nice large flat leafs like the other WholeLeafTobacco offerings, way nicer to deal with.

Note to people smoking precut virginias like D&R and Peter Stokkebye, you owe it to yourself to at least taste test the WholeLeafTobacco Flue Cured Bright Leaf and/or the new Red, or any of the others, to taste how good flue cured can be.

holyRYO

Would like to add, I think the new stock Red makes the perfect mate for the Dark Fired. Blended 2 parts Red and 1 part Dark Fired, makes a smooth full bodied smoke with complex flavors. Plenty of vitamin N.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Good review. I'm also very fond of the Red leaf. The threshed flue cure that tastes like a combination of Bright leaf and Red leaf sounds pretty good too. I'm saving up my pennies to give some of that a try.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
I've got a couple hundred pounds of last year's Red (machine harvest) left over. I was going to have it threshed with another couple bales of this year's Red.

If anyone wants some for $10 lb., shoot me a PM. It's not worth the cost of shipping for fewer than 3 lbs. and if you order 5 lbs, I'll ship it for free.

You MUST include your email address and you have to pay the invoice within 30 days.

Offer ends 4-30-14

Last edited:

holyRYO

Been trying many blends with the new Red. Using WLT Burley toasted and washed, BB Red Tips toasted and cased with agave, WLT Turkish, BB Maryland toasted, WLT Maryland toasted, WLT Bright, and BB Flue Cured. Made some great smokes, but after all is said and done, nothing beats 100% WLT Red. Undiluted, it's "tangerine like" taste is superb!

holyRYO

Would like to add, I think the new stock Red makes the perfect mate for the Dark Fired. Blended 2 parts Red and 1 part Dark Fired, makes a smooth full bodied smoke with complex flavors. Plenty of vitamin N.

Smoking this now. Out of the almost infinite WLT blends I have made, this is by far the single best blend to date. The humble mixture just pops! I would put this up against any Dark Fired tobacco blend in the world. I think better than commercial favorites like Mac Baren Old Dark Fired, Kendal Kentucky, Kendal Dark, and PS Amsterdam Pipe Cut. Cheap too. :)

Brown Thumb

That explains why I runout of it First. I got to order some more.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
That's a good deal FM. I wonder if the flavor difference on red Virginia's is from the higher heat caramelizing the sugars?

Dunno but this is some very tasty leaf. Smokes great all by itself too.

holyRYO

Love this stuff, noticed that to coax as much flavor out of it, I like It dried almost crispy. In general, this works for most virginia's.

holyRYO

I have narrowed in on a blend that has become my go to smoke (everyday smoke would not do it justice, far too extravagant tasting). 3 parts new Red and one part toasted Maryland (300 F for 1 hour and 20 minutes, sounds extreem, but works). Straight up Red is great, but the addition of a little Maryland gives it added richness, nice burn, and more smoke volume/body that I enjoy smoking on a more regular bassis. Could not be happier. :):):):)

holyRYO

The new Red may be the best tobacco I ever smoke.

Now enjoy it 4 ways:

Straight up, best taste.

3 or 4 parts Red, adjust to taste, and 1 part toasted Maryland (300 F for 120 minutes), fuller everything for everyday bliss.

2 parts Red and 1 part Dark Fired, after dinner delight.

4 parts Red and 1 part Prilep, when smooth is the mood.

Bogateer

This red is the best tobacco I have smoked. The flavor that enjoy smoking x 10. tried it cased; just straight up is the best tho.

holyRYO

The new Red is high in nicotine for a flue cured. More than any RYO or pipe tobacco virginia I have tried. More than WLT Bright, same plant with different cure. Judging by the smaller leaf, higher nicotine, I suspect the Red is from a higher stalk position. Ye ha.

ArizonaDave

The new Red may be the best tobacco I ever smoke.

Now enjoy it 4 ways:

Straight up, best taste.

3 or 4 parts Red, adjust to taste, and 1 part toasted Maryland (300 F for 120 minutes), fuller everything for everyday bliss.

2 parts Red and 1 part Dark Fired, after dinner delight.

4 parts Red and 1 part Prilep, when smooth is the mood.

Interesting! I've been debating whether to get Prilep or Red on my next Cigar tobacco order. I'm pretty sold on both.

holyRYO

Interesting! I've been debating whether to get Prilep or Red on my next Cigar tobacco order. I'm pretty sold on both.

Not a cigar guy, but think blending basics would apply. Any good smokable tobacco on it's own should taste good blended as long as it does not have an unusual taste. Flue cured flavors are easly overwelmed by any stronger tobacco. Flue cured and cigar leaf would result in diluted cigar leaf taste, with a little sweetness you may or may not detect. Worth trying... low cost, high quality tobacco no matter what you do with it.

The Prilep is also easy to overwhelm and has almost no nicotine. It's subtle flavor does pair with just about anything, especially other subtle flavors. Would bring even more dilution to cigar leaf and extra smoothness.

ArizonaDave

Not a cigar guy, but think blending basics would apply. Any good smokable tobacco on it's own should taste good blended as long as it does not have an unusual taste. Flue cured flavors are easly overwelmed by any stronger tobacco. Flue cured and cigar leaf would result in diluted cigar leaf taste, with a little sweetness you may or may not detect. Worth trying... low cost, high quality tobacco no matter what you do with it.

The Prilep is also easy to overwhelm and has almost no nicotine. It's subtle flavor does pair with just about anything, especially other subtle flavors. Would bring even more dilution to cigar leaf and extra smoothness.

Hmmm, interesting. I do have Ligero for nicotine. Flavors are what I'm going for, so maybe I'll try BOTH.

Thank you for a great post!

Last edited by a moderator:

ArizonaDave

I've got a couple hundred pounds of last year's Red (machine harvest) left over. I was going to have it threshed with another couple bales of this year's Red.

If anyone wants some for $10 lb., shoot me a PM. It's not worth the cost of shipping for fewer than 3 lbs. and if you order 5 lbs, I'll ship it for free.

You MUST include your email address and you have to pay the invoice within 30 days.

Offer ends 4-30-14

Am I reading this right? 5 lbs for $50 ++ FREE shipping??? Woah, that's a deal! Hopefully it's still there when I buy.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member

Offer ends 4-30-14

All good things must come to an end

Status
Not open for further replies.