Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

From seed to export

Status
Not open for further replies.

istanbulin

Founding Member
Finally, I found an English dubbed video about tobacco growing in Turkey. This video belongs to one of the biggest leaf tobacco company in Turkey and represents all stages (growing to manipulation) of İzmir tobacco. A little bit short (approx. 18 min.) for a year long process but quite informative.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
The growing sections of the video are particularly useful with regard to plant spacing in the field. (5 to 10 cm between plants). I also liked seeing the manner by which the leaves were rapidly primed from the stalks.

Bob

istanbulin

Founding Member
I mentioned the spacing about this variety (also for others) before. As I know 40x5-10 cm was used probably nowadays they're using 30x5-10 planting density.

BTW, I looked up the company's web site and saw that they're providing nine different Oriental leaves from different regions and countries.

Here they are;

İZMİR
tb1386237219organic.png

NICOTINE
0.90%
SUGAR
16.50%
CHLORIDE
0.50%

SAMSUN
tb1386237400samsun.png
NICOTINE
1.35%
SUGAR
6.00%
CHLORIDE
0.60%

BASMA
tb1386237374basma.png
NICOTINE
1.86%
SUGAR
10.18%
CHLORIDE
1.10%

KATERINI
tb1387274022kateriniTobacco.png

NICOTINE
2.00%
SUGAR
10.00%
CHLORIDE
0.6%

DUBEK
tb1386237237dubek.png

NICOTINE
1.35%
SUGAR
12.75%
CHLORIDE
0.6%

PRILEP
tb1386237431prilep.png

NICOTINE
0.63%
SUGAR
10.49%
CHLORIDE
1.02%

YAKA
tb1386237833yaka.png

NICOTINE
0.75-1%
SUGAR
10-15%
CHLORIDE
0.50%

KRUMOVGRAD
tb1386237337krumovgrad.png

NICOTINE
1.10%
SUGAR
14%
CHLORIDE
-

SEMİ ORIENTAL
tb1386237476semiOrientals.png

NICOTINE
0.57-1.31%
SUGAR
4.80-23.05%
CHLORIDE
0.25-0.65%

Source: www.sunel.com

leverhead

Thank you, that's a great video! I thought the seed beds was the most interesting part, maybe because it's that time of year.

istanbulin

Founding Member
It's well known that Katerini is derived from a Samsun variety, because of this it's sometimes called "Samsun Katerini". This is the first time I see a "blonde" Katerini leaf, all I saw were reddish brown and partially yellowish leaves. Very blonde leaf is not very usual, it looks like almost flue-cured, very bright.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I thought the Katerini numbers looked pretty good too. A little higher nicotine than usually found in Orientals and the sugar was decent. It should make a nice smoke.

leverhead

There were some parts of the video that I had some questions about. Here's both sides of an email that should clear some things up.

Hi Istanbulin,

I've been watching that video you posted today, it's a great video. I have some questions though, I think there may be something lost in translation.

In the seed bed part of the video. They mix the seed with ash or water and sow the seed, then they cover it with 1/3 burned sheep dung, 1/3 sand and 1/3 soil, then tamp it flat and water it. Has that been translated out of order, or can tobacco seed germinate covered with soil? Would the sheep dung be burnt/charred or would it be just sterilized with heat?

Later in the video, they talk about "tempering" the tobacco in piles. Would that mean adding moisture?

They are planting in a furrow 5 - 7 cm deep, to be filled by later cultivations. Is that for the plants to have easier access to moisture, or for wind resistance? It must be pretty dry where they are growing, it wouldn't take much rain to flood that field.

Leverhead
--------------------------------------

Hi Leverhead,

Actually burnt/burned dung means composted manure. They directly translate the term into English and this made the term senseless. Yes, seeds can germinate when covered with small amount of manure/soil. As you see they don't cover the seeds deeply.

Tempering is another translation failure, they meant to case the leaves so adding moisture to press them in boxes with minimum breakage.

They fill the bottom of the plants because it helps to keep moisture in soil, blocks evaporation from the soil where roots are in. Also cultivation helps roots to develop better and helps soil/roots to take some nitrogen from air.

Istanbulin

EDIT: Tobacco plants can't fixate atmospheric (molecular) Nitrogen (N[SUB]2[/SUB]) directly but presence of Nitrogen-fixing bacterias in soil allows plant to get and use Nitrogen (Nitrified).

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.