Guácharo PI 118177 Ti 899
NPGS received: Sep-1936. From Cocoyal, near San
Antonio, Monagas, at 1,500 m. altitude,
August 21, 1936. From Venezuela. Seeds collected by Raymond
Stadelman.
Classed as cigar filler.

Moonlight PI 552702 Tc 211
NPGS received: 1991.
Accession was donated. 1991. North Carolina, United States.
Classed as cigar wrapper.

Notice that the label printed by ARS-GRIN incorrectly spells Guácharo. The correct spelling is found in the original accession document.

Bob

rainmax

Founding Member
This bags are two years old from member tzrnee. It's only few seeds left and I hope they germinate. I believe, that there is a lot of this bags around the forum and I will kindly ask everyone who has possibility to make picture of the bag and preserve seeds as it need to be. Deluxestogie with his grow logs is the best example how need's to be done.

Board index » Homegrown Tobacco Links » Commercial Websites/from 20.feb.2011/ skychaser write last post(from HTGT)

I will only take 10 seeds from each bag and return it to owner. You guys should do the same. After we can preserve seeds with all info tobacco seed should have. Pictures, grow log, measures,...

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
GuácharoMonument.jpg

Guácharo. Native to the Monagas region of Venezuela. The name of the bird is said to imitate the sound it makes.

Bob

skychaser

I went to the ars-grin site tonight to look up a few things and the first thing I noticed is that the font had changed and the layout looks slightly different. Then I noticed that the particular variety I was looking at said it was available for distribution. ?? So I searched a dozen more varieties at random and they all say available for distribution. Am I seeing things, or are they back in business.

Sky

darren1979

First Time Grower
Well i be buggered Paul, your right.
Have they set up a new centre for the nicotiana collectiona and have they always had images or is that new?

skychaser

I don't know what they have done but it looks to be improved some. I have never seen a photo on there before.
This is the one I started out searching tonight. PI 511343 Check out the image at the bottom and look at the bags on some of the plants. They aren't tied or fastened at all at the bottom. ppfffttt That would never pass the quality control inspector here!

darren1979

First Time Grower
Thats very true, maybe they should check out this forum to see how it should be done lol.

It looks like they have done a massive grow out to replenish seed, and a long the way catalogued the grow with photos. It will be intresting to see where they are looking to take this because it looks like they have funding again.

AmaxB

Am looking at the tobacco - did a search and was not able to find a meaning ( i could understand) for SAMSUN ""(PHYB)-2"" just what does the PHYB-2 mean in plain English?

darren1979

First Time Grower
Am looking at the tobacco - did a search and was not able to find a meaning ( i could understand) for SAMSUN ""(PHYB)-2"" just what does the PHYB-2 mean in plain English?

After a little google it means its a hybrid, samsun crossed with a petunia hybrida called comanche. Grin have a little pdf showing 2 diffrent strains. samsun phyb-1 and phyb-2 , for some reason i cant link the pdf must be my tablet. sorry.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
[h=2]Narrative[/h] Cybrid containing chloroplasts of Petunia and nucleus and mitochondria of tobacco. Plants fully self fertile. Lit ref: TAG 72:794-798. 1986.

[h=2]Source History[/h]
  • Accession was donated. 05-Oct-1987. Oregon, United States.
    Donors:
    1. Bonnett, H., Univ. of Oregon.
    Comment: Received through Tobacco Research Lab., USDA-ARS, Oxford, North Carolina.
[h=2]Pedigree[/h] Fused cells of N. tabacum cv. Turkish Samsun with cells of Petunia hybrida cv. Comanche

rainmax

Founding Member
I try to order some, but I get letter from Jessica Nifong:

Dear Maks

I regret to inform you that due to the litany of international export/import requirements and our very limited resources, we are unable to ship seed internationally at this time. However, there is another tobacco germplasm collection in France run via the Tobacco Institute of Bergerac (http://www.imperial-tobacco-bergerac.com/index.html). I hope that you will be able to secure the materials you require through them.

Best regards,

Jessica

AmaxB

I try to order some, but I get letter from Jessica Nifong:

Dear Maks

I regret to inform you that due to the litany of international export/import requirements and our very limited resources, we are unable to ship seed internationally at this time. However, there is another tobacco germplasm collection in France run via the Tobacco Institute of Bergerac (http://www.imperial-tobacco-bergerac.com/index.html). I hope that you will be able to secure the materials you require through them.

Best regards,

Jessica
Would like to know what you put in the box for research?

Status
Not open for further replies.